Too much or not enough?

Ok, so I strained a muscle in my shoulder playing with DD (turns out she was heavier than I thought) and I've had DH helping me build up my endurance and get in shape. So here's the thing, with a strained muscle push-ups, pull-ups, and really any heavy lifting is quite painful, so I've decided to rest my shoulder for a day or two until it heals. My husband (prior military) thinks that I should "push through the pain" but I think that it could cause more damage. He seems to think it's an excuse for being lazy, but I haven't cut out cardio or strength training for my legs, back, and so on, just my shoulder. I need some opinions, ladies, should I rest until my shoulder is healed or "push through the pain"? Would I cause more damage by pushing myself or would I be better off pushing myself with a healthy shoulder. Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I think you're doing the right thing by giving your shoulder a rest
    If it's more than just a strained muscle, you could be doing more damage.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would wait and give your muscle time to heal so that a strained muscle doesn't become a torn muscle.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Rest your shoulder! If not, it will continue to get worse. I understand your husband probably thinks he's tough and if he wants to try and push through minor sprains/pulled muscles/etc. then more power to him. It is not the correct way to do it though.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• No, you absolutely need to rest.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• He's a man.He has no idea of what real pain is.Let him have a baby.I think you have made the right decision.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would say you need to let it rest, too. I've had lots of sprains and strains, and that seems to be the only thing that helps.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Give it a rest. If you feel lazy about it, go for a jog or something. If you strain the shoulder worse by "pushing through it", you'll be taking more than a day or two rest for it.
    Push through tiredness and lack of mental motivation, not through injuries.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well I guess you can push through the pain, but if it causes further damage, ask him if he's ready to push through the whole no sleep thing as he takes care of the kids, does everything around the house and takes care of you. I understand the whole military mentality but then somewhere along the line you need to listen to your body. Take a couple of days, ice the area and get back at it in a slow pace. Good for you though for trying to get in shape. I wish I had the time and energy to get back into it.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My FIL (also prior military) has done this to my MIL but her body just cannot take that kind of punishment and she really got hurt.

Take a hint from pro-sports; you have to take the time to let an injury heal properly or you can do more damage. My BIL has a sports scholarship to college but likes to play b-ball with his friends and strained something, then re-injured it playing a school district "unity game." Now he has to be in rehab the *entire summer* (this happened in May) so he will be fit to play his sport for college in the fall; and he is an otherwise very fit teenager.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Rest. If you decide to jog, take it easy too.

Depending on where you hurt it,, you can still strain it more. I have an injured shoulder from this spring season of soccer. The first 2 weeks hurt to even jog, the back and forth motion of the muscle. I still can't sleep on that side because I wake up with a stiff shoulder and small pains in the joint.

sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 12:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010