How do you get kids to use their imagination?

Mine are constantly destroying things and fighting with each other. They say they are bored all the time and want us to figure out something for them to do. They are under my feet constantly. Any suggestions??

brimarie8

Asked by brimarie8 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• Try to establish a loose routine during your day so they know what to expect and when. For example: Give them outside play time from X o'clock to Y o'clock, then snack, then an art/craft, then lunch, then more outside time, then have them build something... etc. Have them help you come up with ideas at the beginning of each week of what they would like to do. This way they will have something to look forward to. (and you have a bit of leverage to take an activity away if they aren't behaving)
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 4:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Give them something constructive to do then. Make art projects, print coloring sheets from the internet, turn on the spinkler outside, find them books they might show interest in, sign them up for a sport, do something. Whatever you do, keep the TV and video games off!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Show them...kids learn what they see. Take a cardboard tube like from a wrapping paper container...use it with them as a teacher ..pointing out answers on a school board...as a sword like playing pirates and etc. They will get the idea and really like using their creativity.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Games that encourage kids to use their imagination - Kids Games ...
    Games that encourage kids to use their imagination are the least expensive and usually the most fun. One such game is pantomime. ...
    www.helium.com/knowledge/55395-games-that-encourage-kids-to-use-their-imagination?search_result=true -
    personally I think Leggo's are great for building imagination.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Try doing something constructive. If they are good at sports and really hyper all the time nurture that skill by having them do baseball or soccor. If they like to draw on the walls and stuff have them color in coloring books that appeal to them. My stepsons are big fans of Spider Man so they have tons of Spider Man coloring books and it makes for good wall hangings in their rooms. It gives them a sense of accomplishment.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 2:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Also, make sure they each get a bit of one on one time with you. They need a break from each other once in a while, I'm sure. That may help with the fighting.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 4:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• my mum used to give me and my friends a huge sheet and let us make a tent with it in the garden by putting it over chairs and stuff, it became a castle or a car or a train or a boat lol. Kids don't need fancy stuff, just some basics and a little help :)
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2008