Tipping?

If someon does hair out of her home...should I tip her too? She pockets the full cost she charges me. What is the proper etiquite?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I would give her a small tip
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 10:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I personally wouldn't since she doesn't have booth fees or commission to worry about.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It depends on how good she does and if you think it may be an issue in the future. I would at least give her a small tip if she does a job better than you expected, but not frequently just to be nice and tip because as you said... she IS pocketing the full amount.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have not faced this situation but I don't think I'd tip. I always thought the reason for that was because stylists have to rent a booth in the place they work. If she does it out of her home it seems to me everything she got would be profit.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, I would still tip her. She is still giving you the same service, and usually if someone is working out of their home, they charge less than other salons anyways.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would tip her. The same rules apply.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, I would still tip for good service no matter where the service is performed.

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would tip her - I always tip unless the salon doesn't allow it. (My current one doesn't.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• "She pockets the full cost she charges me.."...MINUS her expenses for product (it doesn't just materialize as she needs it), her water usage, her electricity, her tools, etc. NOT TO MENTION her SKILL!
    gosh, you people who justify not tipping just kill me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• yes tip her..

you are paying for her experience (which she paid a lot of money to earn the rights to have that experience). You are paying for products she puts in your hair, and her time.

Typically for a basic shampoo and cut.. you are looking at a half hour of her expertise, plus the cost of shampoo. Plus sanitation and disinfection materials, plus laundry, plus tool usage (and trust me, her tools are NOT cheap to replace, every hair cut puts time into her tools that will need to be replaced or fixed, and that is not cheap either), plus insurance, etc. Trust me, by the time it's done, she's maybe pocketing 25% of that money as money earned. So while you may be paying 8-30 a hair cut.. she's only making: 2.00-7.50 for that hair cut.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2010