For those of you who do not believe in Divorce

What would you recommend to someone in an abusive relationship?
I ask because, my ex was abusive. When I left, my ex-sil told me I was going to hell for divorcing him. I am a Christian, but I have not found anywhere in the Bible that says I have to let anyone abuse me! So, what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• IF your life is in danger as well as your children you can get out. Your not going to hell you were protecting your self from a life full of pain. Don't let anyone tell you that your wrong for leaving or that your going to hell cause you left. Your one of the lucky ones who seen where things were headed and got out before lives were ruined.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:51 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You are NOT going to hell!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:49 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My thoughts are, if both people are not willing to work things out, or try to put 100% into the relationship then it won't work. But I hink there's always a way. God forgives for everything, just remember that. Your SIL was probably just mad. My pastor was divorced when he was in his early 20's. His wife had cheated on him, and he forgave her, and wanted it to still work out, but she left him for the other man. Now he has a wonderful wife and 2 adorable boys.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't believe in divorce under reasonable circumstances (just as the Bible says). Abuse is not reasonable circumstances. There are times when spouses fall into evil that is dangerous (abuse of any kind, hardness of heart which will not allow love to grow and thrive). It sounds as if you are dealing with an unworkable circumstance. I don't believe you would go to hell for that and I believe your SIL is wrong to say such things. I pray God will give you strength and peace.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't know exactly where it is,but there is a part in the bible that talks about infidels.And describes men that do not take care of their wive and families are infidels.and cheating is one of the ten commandments( do not covet with your neighbors wife)Not the exact wording.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:50 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• As a Christian who doesn't believe in divorce, I also know that there are exceptions to every rule. And abuse is where I draw the line. I would get a divorce if I or my children were abused.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I was told you can separate but no divorce. You don't have to live with him. But you cannot get married again or have sex with anybody else as long as he lives.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't like the idea of divorce, but there are some circumstances where you can't not get divorced....for example, abuse wether it's physical, mental, or emotional.....where the spouse is not willing to work on it and get better. The other reason would be infedelity/cheating where again the spouse is putting you at danger for STD's and/or is not willing to get help and change and care about the relationship. To me, cheating is basically emotional/mental abuse....and sometimes physical if it brings in an STD or something like that.
    I think everyone has to make their own decision, and really think through how it will affect not only you and your spouse, but your kids.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i'm not into the whole god thing.. but i despise divorce over stupid reasons.. however.. for you being abused.. i'm sure god will accept you for trying to help yourself and your children.. you will not go to hell.
    it's better to get a divorce before anything escalate to death. i'm sure he wouldn't want you to die and leave your children to a guy who can kill them too..
    there are abusive relationships where the woman was too late to get out because the husband killed her..
    pat yourself on the back for saving you and your kids
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 11:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You SIL is a flaming idiot. You were being abused for crying out loud. No your not going to hell. God is forgiving, loving. I cant believe he would want you to endure something so wrong. There are lines and he crossed it. You did the right thing
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2010