We have a new dog in our home... He is not house broken, but he is full grown, and its driving me crazy!!

I was going to buy the pads to see if he would go on those, but I worry that if we let him do it, then our BIG dog who is housebroken will also decide he needs to go to the bathroom on the small pad. Is it too late to crate train a full grown dog?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pets

• It's not too late. And for heaven's sake, no pee pads.

Barring health issues, it is not difficult to train a dog of any age if you are consistent.

1) Feed on a set schedule. Immediately following food, take dog on leash out to the area where he/she is supposed to urinate/defecate. No playing. No distractions. Just lots of praise if he/she goes. Most dogs will need to defecate within 20 min of eating a meal.

2) Crate the dog when you are not able to keep an eye on it. Don't give them the opportunity to go all over the house. First thing you do when you take dog out of crate is go straight outside. On a leash.

3) Crate overnight. FIRST thing, take dog out to pee. Then feed. Wait 10-15 min, take dog out poop.

4) Another trick for in the house is to keep a leash on the dog and not let the thing out of your site. Pay attention. He/She may be giving you signals, but you've got to watch.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 12:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• In my opinion I think it is.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't think is to late to use a crate, unless the dog is afraid of the crate or had bad experiences with crating in the past. Another thing you can do is make sure you are feeding on a schedule and watching water intake and get on a good routine of taking dog out and rewarding for going potty outside. Also, you can keep the dog on leash so he is with you at all times and cannot sneak off to have an accident in the house. Sometimes it just takes a while to recognize a dog's cues that they need to go, and learning their potty routine.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:51 AM on Jun. 30, 2010