What's the youngest a child can get braces?

My son lost his 2 front teeth and now his permanent are coming in and he's only 4.But the seems to be coming in crook.He will be 5 in December.

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 11:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• your still growing and developing....I wouldn't do it until you have to...I got mine when I was 17
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• my daughter got braces when she was 8.One of her front teeth was coming in 4 inches over too far.and 6 months later her tooth was in the right spot.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:06 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think they make you wait until all of the baby teeth are gone and the adult teeth are grown in. I got mine when I was 13 but i started getting ready for them when I was 7 or 8. I sucked my thumb so I had lots of problems.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 11:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• my son is 5 now and has an expander for an underbite..they said he has to wear it for 18 months and hopefully by then he will have lost most of his baby teeth and if he needs braces we well get them then
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• At this age they can fit him for a retainer and/or headgear that he can wear at night, that will help with the crookedness of the teeth and not deter further development of his mouth/teeth/jaw. I am pretty sure they will not put braces on a child until all of their adult teeth are in.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have seen 9 year olds with them on the front 12 teeth and was told that they are making space for the rest of their permanent teeth, but it is no guarantee that they won't need them later...just a hope that they won't.

Kids teeth come in crooked sometimes, then as more teeth come in the new teeth will push and rotate the previous ones. You can tell at a young age the children that will have more issues by how much crowding there is in their mouth with just baby teeth. My daughter's baby teeth were crooked, now her permanent teeth are a mess. I got braces myself when I was 30. I've had them off for 3 years now (yay). The orthodontist looked at my daughter and told me to bring her in for a consultation when she has all of her pemanent teeth. At $5k you don't want to do it more than once.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I took my daughter to see if she needed them, she was 9because her regular dentist recommended it. She has an extra tooth growing in the back of her regular teeth. They wanted to charge me like $3,000 for a procedure just to get her mouth ready for braces. I went online and did research and talked to other moms who told me to wait, until maybe 12 or 13 as her mouth is still growing. We are waiting now, maybe 1 more year.
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• At the age of 9, I had my baby teeth pulled and at age 10, I had braces. I had them off at 12.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Don't be in a rush to do it. My neice had them at 8 and ended up having to do a second round of them. The exception would be a problem severe enough to be a risk to the teeth.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My baby sister got her's when she was like 5 but that is because she had an underbite. She is just now getting her braces off and most of her friends are just now getting them and she will be 13 at the end of the month.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2010