Shouldn't he be paying attention instead of napping? Sen. Al Franken Naps, Draws Cartoons During Kagan Hearings

He's good enough, he's smart enough, but doggone it — he just can't keep his eyes open for Senate confirmation hearings.

Al Franken, the onetime comedian and current Democratic senator from Minnesota, used his position on the vaunted Judiciary Committee on Tuesday to doodle a lifelike bust of Sen. Jeff Sessions, the committee's ranking Republican, as Sessions raked Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan over the coals.

But it wasn't all fun and games for the former "Saturday Night Live" star — Franken also found time to get in a good nap during the first day of hearings Monday.

Live video from Senate chambers shows a woozy Franken getting some much-needed shuteye as Kagan explains her intellectual approach to life and teachings in her opening statement to the Senate.

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 11:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Why should he stay awake? he's going to vote the party lines no matter what. Kagan could stand up and say small children should be murdered and sacrificed to some barbaric demon god a la Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and he would still vote for her.

Personally I wish they would all take naps. the more time they spend sleeping the less damage they can do.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• He should have stayed in show biz.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• How in the world he got elected is a mystery to me. What an asshat.
    -------
    Mancos, that's why it took so long to recount all those votes, they had to find enough, and figure out which counties needed to go by rule A and which by rule B and which votes could be thrown out, etc.... That took a long time! Lots of checking and rechecking! And every day, Franken was looking in the mirror, saying, YOU are special! You WILL be a Senator, as soon as they find enough votes, because, doggone it, you're someone special! And you deserve it!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• ITA
    He is an idiot and was never funny. Or good enough, or smart enough.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• jesse beat me to it... I dont think the man is cut out to be in government. He clearly still likes drawing and being funny. That is where his gift and talent lies!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• He is an idiot and never was funny.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Franken is an awesome senator. sounds like some of you can't walk and chew gum.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• random much, Gracie?
    autodidact

• Auto,

Now you know, I'm rather satisfied with my intellect!!!!!!!!

I'm not the smartest one here, but I do okay.

My husband, who has never been on CM, teases me when he sees me on the computer and asks if I'm on "Cafe Bitches".

Now, let's see if we can all be nice for the entire day.
    I will if you will.
    Autodidact.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• mancosmomma

Comment by mancosmomma (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2010