What does the Bible REALLY say about homosexuality?

http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Soulforce article really is amazing, and a good read. It's long but well worth it. Mel White studied the bible for years and he's not the only one who has come to these conclusions. Another great resource is For the Bible Tells Me So, a documentary done about being gay and Christian. My family has been involved with Soulforce for a few years now, my sister has done many campaigns and projects with them.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 11:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• An excellent quote from the site (which a friend of mine posted on facebook this morning, so I knew right where to go):

"Even when we believe the Scriptures are "infallible" or "without error," it's terribly dangerous to think that our understanding of every biblical text is also without error. We are human. We are fallible. And we can misunderstand and misinterpret these ancient words -- with tragic results."
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Leviticus 18:22 (New International Version)

22 " 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

Just because I disagree with someones poor decisions does not mean that I am judging them or do not have Christian love for them. I believe that God did not intend for homosexuality any more then he intended for premarital sex or abortion to occur. Still they are socially acceptable today and thought of as "fine". I am against it because God made man and woman to be together. God made the sanctitiy of marriage for a man and a woman. He also said that within a holy marriage we should "be fruitful and multiply" which gay people cant.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

I love everyone and will not judge them but this is only my personal belief. God Bless:)
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• The original writings used to create the Bible say nothing about homosexuality. Anthropologically, the man lying with man is in reference to the act of male rape, a method (very common) of punishment and humiliation used by the victors against their foe in the biblical age. Sodom/Gomorrah was destroyed for their greed, and inhospitality (a major sin to the Jews of the time) Jesus refers to Sodom, not in the context of sexual acts, but of inhospitality (Luke 10:10).
    Jude 7 (I know it’s the Apocrypha) does refer to the sexual sins of Sodom: 'They committed fornication and followed unnatural lusts.' the original Greek literal translation. The Jerusalem Bible footnote for Jude 7 reads 'They lusted not after human beings, but after the strangers who were angels.'
    These explanations would require one to look outside the KJV, and I understand their inability to do so.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I am not here to judge.all I know is that each indivual has to answer for their own choices.As do I.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You beat me to it! I was coming on to post this! lol

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Awesome.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• From what I read - yay! And I highly recommend the documentary "For the Bible Tells Me So", haha, but I see that's already been recommended.

But I'm one of those Christians who agrees with this kind of thinking and who supports the rights and respect of homosexuals, who rejects the thought that homosexuality is "sin", and who wishes there were more sources like this out there. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• "Love One Another" When I am trying to answer some of these hard questions, I go back to these very wise words of Jesus. I look around me and see people, GOOD people, hurting each other, judging each other, misinterpreting each others words, using the bible as a weapon, which is not what I believe it was meant for.....honestly, I don't believe the Bible can be used to PROVE anything, so why use it in that way....I see pain everywhere....I see people doing the best they can in this world lashing out at each other.....and I don't believe some can see beyond their own pain to recognize the pain in others....Sometimes I cannot take it anymore, and I fall apart, and I get judged for that, too. I cannot shoulder all the pain of the world, but I can see it, so I sometimes shut down and then I do NOBODY any good.....Brothers and sisters, let's love one another.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010