This dog is driving me crazy!!! Help?

Okay, I have 3 dogs. I have had them for about 3 years now. All 3 sleep in cages at night and are let out in the morning when I wake up. Just recently 1 of my dogs has started waking up around 4am and just whining and barking repeatedly. I am the only person in my house who gets woken up by this. But its every night. I go shush the dog and she stops for about a half hour.. Then starts again.. & That continues until the kids wake up around 10am. The constant barking and whining throughout the night is really starting to drive me crazy and I find myself barely getting any sleep. What would you do in this situation??

xxMasonsMommaxx

Asked by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:18 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pets

• How recently did this start happening? Could be that this dog has an infection and really needs to go the bathroom and can't hold it as long as before.. just a thought.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:49 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Sudden changes in behavior indicate a problem.

8 hours in a crate can be too long for some dogs. But if they were doing it fine before, then you have to consider other possibilities. Young dogs and older dogs can have difficulty with bladder control. UTIs or crystals in the urine can cause irritation and increase frequency of urination.

Has anything else in the home changed? IE: Were the dogs previously getting a lot of exercise and now aren't? If they're not getting tired during the day or are sleeping a lot during the day when no one is home, they may be ready to get up at 4.

I wouldn't be too quick to assume this is purely behavioral. I would limit water intake an hour before you crate at night, get the dog checked out by the vet, and go from there. If it does not have a basis in routine/medical issue, then consider putting a dark sheet or blanket over the crate to keep the area darker.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 12:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• How long is he in the kennel?
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I let them out at night to go to the bathroom right before I put them to bed, and I usually put them in the cages around 2am (bc thats what time I usually go to bed).. & I let them all outside again in the morning as soon as I "wake up".
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Comment by xxMasonsMommaxx (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Just about two weeks ago.. Every now and then I let them stay out of their cages at night and that was the case for about 2 nights in a row.. Then every day after that she has been whining.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Comment by xxMasonsMommaxx (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My first thought was also something like a urinary tract infection, or maybe even something simple like a sore leg, bruise, or cut that makes laying/sitting for a span uncomfortable
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010