Should i deadhead my African Violets?

i do not have a green thumb, but i've kept this African Violet alive for over a month now. It even looks like it's growing, but there's not as many blooms as when i bought it. The flowers die and just kinda shrivel up; they don't drop off. Should i clip those off? Will that encourage more blooming, or just leave me with empty stems?

inkydorei

Asked by inkydorei at 11:18 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Dead head them can't hurt...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 11:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, clip the dead ones off when they are drying up, but make sure there are no new ones "hiding " underneath. I don't really know if it encourages more. It looks better, though. I can only get my plant to bloom if it has 3-4 hours of afternoon or morning sun. If I move it anywhere else it doesn't bloom. And don't over water it. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would, but sparingly........Did you know that is you put an African Voilet on a saucer, and put your leftover coffee under it, it will draw it up and bloom better than ever before? You would be amazed at how pretty it can get.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Do remove them. But that's probably not why your plant isn't blooming.

If the plant was blooming when you bought it and isn't now, you have an unhappy violet. They bloom non stop once they start. (it can take awhile for them to start blooming when you repot or start a cutting.)

Some tips: Water only when soil is dry. Over watering can cause root rot and they are sensitive to this. Ideally (if you're a REALLY serious violet person) you want to water from the bottom-there are several methods.

Light--they need lots of indirect light. If you put them in direct sun, they get unhappy. If they don't get enough indirect light, they get unhappy.

Fertilizer--violets have different needs and they make special plant food just for violets. You only need to do that once a month or so.

They are sensitive to household c
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 11:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I've never been able to grown them. But doing what you suggested is what I'd do! I got one earlier this year from someone that hates plants! My health is horrible! But all of my indoor houseplants are doing exceptional to cheer me and help me feel better! I'm so grateful! One Christmas cactus bloomed 4 times for me! I like flowers, blooms & healthy life! Best of luck to you! How great will it be to see it survive and flourish for you! Good Luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Remove dead flowers and brown leaves as needed. Place the pot inside a larger saucer/bowl. Only put water in the saucer. Don't water the soil. African Violets drink from the bottom. Only water when the saucer gets dry. They usually only flower twice a year.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i have been watering it from the bottom---it's sitting in a shallow saucer. That's the way they were set up at Home Depot, so i figured that was the way to do it. :) (Probably why it's not brown haha)

There's no real sunlight in my room. i work nights, and sleep during the day, so the windows are shaded. i keep my lamp on all night while i'm at work, just for the flower. Is that enough, or should i actually get some indirect *sunlight* on it?

Will check into fertilizer for it. Hadn't thought of that.

2 schools of thought here....one said they bloom only 2 times/yr, another says continuously. hmmmm......will read on.
    inkydorei

Comment by inkydorei (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I live in NY & they only bloom 2 timesa year for me here. It may depend on location. I would try to give it some natural light (indirect) if you can. I have one in my bathroom that is very bright and it does really well. My Mom keeps hers in her den & it gets very dim light during the day & it looks a little sad.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010