I would so much rather spend Christmas with the in-laws but ever since our daughter joined our home, I know that holidays are going to be a fight.....

What would you do??? We spent Christmas with the in-laws last year, so this year it would be with my family.... My in-laws (the whole family--- including extended) are way more loving and inviting and just a warm family. My side is very cold, and more on the proper side of things (boring for a kid, heck, boring for me)... I want my daughters 1st Christmas with us to be super special. What would you do?? And what would you tell the family you would see on XMas day?? We can't split the day up either... Also, the hubbys family has EVERYONE in the family there on holidays...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Holidays

• We had this same dilemma. We all (both families) reached an agreement. Christmas Eve with my family for vespers, dinner, and presents, Christmas day at home with our kids, and the day after Christmas with in-laws. It worked well for all of us, my 3 brothers, and his 4 siblings. This will be the 1st year there will not be a day after Christmas. Both of my MIL and FIL plus a SIL died this past year.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Got see your family or have them over on Christmas Eve. Then go to his families on Christmas Day! We see my DH's family on Christmas Eve. They are Italian and they do a BIG Christmas Eve. Then we see My family on Christmas Day. So my DS gets Two days of Fun & gifts!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think its only fair if you switch off every year.

OR this could be the year you START switching off lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Sorry Got = Go*
    ILovemyPaulie

• You might hurt your families feelings by not going. I would suggest going with your family. The 1st Christmas is big for the parents not really the kids. They don't remember. The 2nd and 3rd are much better because they get excited. I wouldn't stress it much. Next year would be better for your kid if she is with fun loving family.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would either go on Christmas Eve or the day after. I would just tell your family that this is the one time a year that your children will get to spend with all their extended family on that side; and when they say "it's not fair" you can say "it may not be fair, but we don't want Suzy-Q to miss out on what is essentially a yearly family reunion--and play with her cousins."

Personally, we are not too attached to "the day" and tend to do events when most convenient. We see the in-laws the day after Christmas and my family is out of state.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Where you go for the Holidays is YOUR choice, don't let anyone bully you into thinking otherwise. Do what you feel is right for your family.

Our family spends Christmas Eve with just the four of us. Then Christmas day we spend at the In-laws. My parents come up Christmas day night and Spend the next couple days with us. That's how we've done it the last couple of years.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2010