My (almost) 4yr old is ready for school...

..but I think Im not Im afraid of shootings in school and people going to school killing kids like the guy in China that went in a day care and stabbed many lil kids . Iam I over reacting to all this or should I just take it easy??

vania_jmz

Asked by vania_jmz at 11:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think you are over thinking it. Did you make it threw school without a school shooting or a random crazy stabbing guy? I did.
    I would be less concerned about the stuff that is not likely to happen and more concerned about the stuff that is more likely to happen, like abuse, neglect, bullying etc. It is important to pick your school wisely.
    And just because neglect is more likely to happen than say a school shooting, still doesn't mean that its THAT likely to happen.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Take it easy. Horrible things can happen anywhere. You can't stop living because you are afraid.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• and you could get run over by a semi as you pull out of your street... you can't live your life in a bubble
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think you are overrecting.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 12:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• pre-school will help your child interact with other kids and it will also prepare for school full time
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If this is a real concern for you maybe you should look into private schools where they have a little more security. One school I looked at (before we moved) you had to be buzzed in to the reception, then you had to be buzzed in to the actual school. I know that once they get in they can just buzz themselves into the school, but at least there's something. Besides, if they're that determined their either the security isn't going to even phase them, or they'll just move on.

The world is a scary place and you can't protect them from everything. Also, the likelihood of that actually happening is quite slim.
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 4:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think you are overreacting just make sure it is a good Pre-K you are sending him/her too. My son went last year and he is fine and you will be amazed at how much they learned and the new friends they will meet. It helps them tremendously with interacting with other kids.
    Ashton91005

Answer by Ashton91005 at 4:46 AM on Jul. 1, 2010