if you own a pool

i'm not talking about a kiddie or inflatable pool lol. SO and I were introduced to a home for sale and after we look at it and speak to a lawyer , the bank and the owner we might buy it. it has a big pool and jacuzzi in the backyard. Our son is 26 months old and with all the summer reminders to "watch your child or else he/she will drown" out there, I have a helicopter mom-view on the property now. But having a pool and jacuzzi would ROCK! I know there are thousands of homes with pools owned by families w/ younger children. I just fear the what-ifs. What if my son were to sneak out of the house in the middle of the night w/out our supervision and go in the pool...next thing you know.....? How did you go about child-proofing the area?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• They have portal fencing you can put up around the pool. They also have surface pool alarms that will sound if the surface of the water is distrubed. They even have pool covers now that are strong enough to support a childs weight should they run across it. Check out your options and what you can afford to install. GL and happy home owning.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Most pools are fenced in, is this one not? They sell pool alarms....it floats in your pool and if anything falls in the pool an alarm sounds in the house. We have a pool, but its above ground, so we take the ladder away so the kids can't get in without us. I will say that it totally rocks! We have so much fun in the pool and my kids are getting to be better and better at swimming with all the practice. They also take swim lessons at the Y during the winter months, I would definitely get your son going with some swim lessons. You'll have a few summers of being on high alert at all times, and then once he can swim really well, you will have awesome fun for years. Pool are a total money suck though, and they need tons of maintenance. We are total water bugs though, so for us, its worth it. There are more pool safety tips you can probably find online, like never leave toys around or in the pool where your child might...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• thanks for the information! good to know the pool companies are more aware now and making products to prevent drowning/accidents!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My sister has an alarm on the gate to her pool. If the gate is opened the alarm goes off. I would worry too, but the alarm would help. Also make sure the outside door is always locked. Get a lock up out of his reach.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• ...go to reach for one and fall in, etc.... If you pool doesn't have a fence, which is really bad for insurance purposes, I'd get one and put a good lock on it too.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You can put alarms on certain doors so that you'll know when they open. It can be something as simple as a chime that alerts you & tells you "ok, someone just opened the back door".

My DD just knows though. She knows she is not allowed to go back there without an adult. She has never tried, she fears getting in trouble. She's a good girl. We also cover our pool though when no one is using it, keeps the crap out of it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• yes, we have a hard cover. You can walk on it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We had a pool installed when my kids were young.  We discussed in ground and above ground, and chose above ground for safety reasons. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We installed the "Life Saver Pool Fence" last year around our entire Pool. Go to Poolfence.com. That is who we used. The quality is great and we did a lot of research. I would recommend adding on the optional "Gate". Most of the companies that we had give us estimates told us that we did not need the gate. The fence is installed by drilling holes in the patio, placing anchors in and the fence poles slip into the anchors. It is removable but very secure. But you don't want to have to remove the fence pieces every time you want to go in the pool. The gate has an auto shut, Lock and is child proof. They come once a year for free to check on the fence too. We also have the Pool Turtle Bracelet for my Son. If we are outside or have company over, it's a bracelet that he cannot remove and if it is submerged in water, a wireless alarm goes off. We also have a locked gate on our deck before he can get to the pool fence. Cont:

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Put a fence around it. Triple check that it is locked at all times and inspect it once in a while to make sure that there's nothing worn or loose or broken! I also suggest getting a door alarm. So that whenever the door opens you hear a beep and you can get to the door in tim.e
    Sheridonia

Answer by Sheridonia at 12:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010