Should I be concerned about DS's Daycare

My Ds will be 2 in September and until about a month ago he really seemed to enjoy his daycare. It was all I could do to stop him from bolting from the car. Now every time I drop him off he fights and whines to stay with me. Is this another round of seperation anxiety or should I be concerned? I know that the provider recently lost two of her main helpers and I worry that DS doesn't like the new ones or that they might be mean? I don't think they are physically harming him but he does seem grumpier. But we are moving towards the terrible twos.

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 12:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter has been with her DCP since 8 weeks, so she never had the separation anxiety until she hit 2yo and moved into the appropriate room. she is with a familiar teacher still, and with all her same friends, but there are more kids there. usually her anxiety is on monday and then she's fine. as the weeks go on, she's less fussy but i notice as she gets older, she's much more cranky on monday morning than she used to be.

even if it's normal, it is always good to talk with your director. you have to be your child's mouthpiece, so ask any questions you can. it is always better to ask for no reason, than to remain silent while a problem goes unchecked. the director should be understanding and willing to listen.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Talk to your son. See what he has to say. i know he's only 2 but i'm sure he has some words already. Perhaps he can provide a new perspective.
    Also, talk to your childcare provider about the changes going on in the school and in your sons behavior.

and if the behavior continues after a month or two i'd probably find somewhere else to put him.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I went through the whole day care thing too. You said that two of the helpers left recently. Was one of them his teacher? Take your concerns to the head administrator. It could be seperation anxiety, or it could be something else that he needs help adapting too at daycare.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• completely normal, my DS started at his daycare at 15 mos and went through the same phase, and is going through it again at 4
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Talk to the daycare provider. Find out what's going on. It could be that he's fine right after you leave.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• peanutsmommy
    normally i'd agree with you. But the OP implied that her child has already gone through the stage of separation anxiety.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• yep, and I'm saying that children typically go through the phase more than once
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I always had lots of concerns about daycare. That's why I decided to stop work and stay home, even though it meant doing without lots of things. My children are grown now, and I'm so glad I made that choice. My oldest son, who was the only one ever left in daycare, is to this day the most insecure of my children. I regret that I did that to him and have apologized to him. I know tht sometimes, people simply don't have a choice, but children will always prefer their mommy over any substitute, and that includes Nanny. I see this with my own grandchildren, and they love coming here. But when Mommy leaves, they want her!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• That is toally normal, as long as it is only at drop-off time. If he starts to complain about going when he is at home then you might need to look into it more. Around age 2, kids have a hard time with the actualy "ggodbye", but are fine 2 minutes later after you leave. I would ask the daycare and see what they say.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My sister was like that when she was in preschool for a long time everything was fine and then all of a sudden she started not wanting my mom to leave and then one day she was fine again. At the end of the school year my mom asked about a teacher that was there while my sister was afraid to go come to find out she was molesting the kids in the restroom. I would be worried and if I were you I would be doing a lot of surprise visits.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010