Our apartment lease ends in February. When is a good time to start looking for another apartment?

I don't want to look too early because I know they can't hold apartments for months on end, but I don't want to save it for the last minute and feel rushed. When would be a good time? How long can apartments usually be held?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 12:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Personally I would start looking now. Not to find a place but to price the going rate. Also apartment rentals have seasonal pricing (i.e. higher prices in the summer when everyone wants to move and lower in winter around Christmas when no one wants to move and managerare desperate to fill their vacancies). Then at about 60 days before your lease is done get serious.
    By knowing the going rate of apartments I was able to really negiogate my rent at my current place and am now paying two hundred dollars less a month.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Beginning of February. You can always put up the deposit to hold the place you want as long as they are willing to do it.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would start about 6 weeks to 8 weeks before you have to move. Usually apartments can hold for about a month - in my experience. Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• About 2 months.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 12:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My dh has had ppl come looking as early as 3 months prior to their lease ending... try 30-60 days prior...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• about a month in advance. or 6 weeks if it took a while to find the one you are in now.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• When you turn in your notice to vacate....
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• 6 weeks to a month. most apartments will only hold a apt. with your deposit for 2-4 weeks any way. I would start calling around and seeing who was the right price, getting potential availability and looking 2 months out.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would start looking in January
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We move a lot since DH is in the military. If we have enough notice, we start trying to narrow down the places we like about 3-4 months ahead of time, but we don't go in and do the application/deposit thing until about 2 months ahead of time.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2010