Would you be mad?

My ex and I are having a major disagreement. We have a 10 year old son together. He had him for a visit last Thursday, and had to work. He left our son with his sister, his sister left him with a High School kid in her neighborhood, and left. The CHILD she left our son with is 14. She left them swimming in her 10 ft. deep swimming pool, and was over an hour and a half away ALL DAY LONG. He says, I have no reason to be mad, I am pissed! Oh, and they refused to tell me who he was left with. I found out on Facebook. So, do you think I am right to be throwing a fit?

mommy11260

Asked by mommy11260 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes I would definitely be mad and upset at everyone involved (except for the kids)!!
    mommaof3girls24

Answer by mommaof3girls24 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, I would be mad! That is dangerous with the pool! You have every right to say something about your child's safety!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes I would be mad! yeah he is up in age, but he is not an adult. I would fix it where if Dad has him he has to be off of work, or leave the child with a reliable adult or sitter! And the courts will honor that if yiu have proof of endangerment of your child. I would look into it or try to come to an agreement with him.
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 12:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• What would bother me is not knowing about it. I started babysitting for other people at about age 12. Did the CPR/First Aid class, all that jazz. I don't think that 14 is necessarily too young to babysit. If he's not with the NCP, I think you should've been able to take him home. Else, if you agreed that he could be left w/ your ex SIL, that is who should've been with him. Not a 14YO kid.

In summary, my issue would not be so much with the 14YO kid, but in the poor communication and judgment of ex.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 12:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes. Normally I would say it is perfectly acceptable to ask a 14 year old to baby sit for a few hours (2-3) but all bets are off when it comes to pools or other hazards. Did this 14 year have CPR or life safety training? What if something happened does this older child posess the wherewithall to react appropriately to the situation? What actual adults were close by that could have offer assistance (the 14 year old's mother, a neighbor, Your DS dad)?
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, I say you have every right to be pissed, but the age of the teenager isn't really a big deal. What I would be mad at is the fact that the sister left in the first place and that the children went swimming without supervision. That is just irresponsible on her part.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 12:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It makes me mad, first off because she was so young, and it wasn't like an hour or two. It was from the time my son woke up, until he was picked up by his Dad at 4 p.m.
    Her parents do live in the same town, but still quickest arrival of 30 mins, as my ex-sil lives outside of town.
    And, I am extremely pissed that they went to huge lengths to hide this from me, because they know I would have never agreed to him being left ALL DAY with a 14 year old. Especially not when their main activity was swimming! I don't care what kind of training she had, she is still a kid!
    mommy11260

Comment by mommy11260 (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010