What chores did/do you make your 7yr old girl do??

We are adopting a 7yr old, and she has been with us for about 5 months. I just recently started staying at home, and now that I am home all the time, I can enforce consistency. BUT, I have no clue what kind of chores are age appropriate. She has never had any responsibilities in the past (not her fault, but gotta change), and when I have her do things, it takes her forever and it seems like it is the most awful thing ever... Is this normal no matter what you ask them to do (help clean out the car a little, put away their things that are laying around the house, washing half a sinkful of non-breakable dishes)... I don't want to put to much on her, but I also don't want her to grow up as spoiled and rotten as I did.... I didn't know what it was like to have responsibilities, and then one day it was like a brick slammed me in the face..... I don't want that for her!! It'll just make it harder on her later. Thanks in advance! ;-}

AdoptingMyChild

Asked by AdoptingMyChild at 12:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would start slow, though, if she's not used to chores.  At the least she should be responsible for keeping her toys, books and clothes picked up (whether that's an every day thing or weekly is up to you).  Then you could teach her to fold and put her clothes away.  That was one of the first chores I taught my kids (when they were 3-3 1/2).

And, even though, my kids have all been doing chores since they were 3 they still complain daily about them.  You think they would have learned by now to just do them and get them over with but, no, they whine every time.  And I don't make them do all that every day...just when it needs to be done.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If she's not used to it, it may be overwhelming for her at 1st. She may think you are being "mean." Maybe you can get her to help you for now. Maybe let her hold the dust pan while you sweep. You two can race to pick up her toys. Let her set the table while you cook the meal. Things like that. If you make it fun she'll do it more willingly. =) After she's used to that give her her own special jobs. Putting her laundry away and putting her toys up is a good place to start. Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have a system that motivates my 7 and 6 yo girls. If you would like to know about it PM me. It doesn't involve being assigned chores but getting rewards for chores they do. It makes them happy to scrub the toilet :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Thank you.... Yea sometimes, she makes me feel like I am being mean!!! Haha... Those are good suggestions to try!!! Thank you!
    AdoptingMyChild

Comment by AdoptingMyChild (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My 7yo daughter is supposed to keep all her toys and books picked up in her room and any other room she has them in.  She has to put her dirty clothes in the hamper, bring the hamper down when it's full/laundry day and, sometimes, does her own laundry (she just needs someone to get the soap and turn the maching on or her--my 8yo son or 10yo daughter usually help her since they are already down there doing their own laundry).  She then folds and puts all her own clothes away.  She also has to clean up any mess she makes in the kitchen when she gets her own food including putting stuff away, cleaning the table, sweeping the floor, etc.  She has to take her dirty dishes to the sink and empty the dishwasher when asked.  Other random stuff is like take out the trash and help with groceries, clean up toys in the yard, help shovel/rake leaves, pick up litter out front, etc.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010