Are white blood cells supposed to be in the thousands???

for an infant?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Anything about white cells is very delicate subject, why? because when they are more than they need to be, or less can affect your body in great way, if you had a blood test done, go with your doctor and he will tell you if you are doing fine, if you don't know anything about medicine is better not to try to read by yourself the test results because you just can have the wrong idea when probably everything is fine :) good luck!
    EllieMarie1

Answer by EllieMarie1 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• im not asking for myself im asking about my nephew. my sister was told he had VERY low white blood cells..on a few different occasions. Then a hematologist said it was fine, however when he got papers back he said it was low again.

i believe the count was like 567.... shouldnt it be in the thousands??

we feel like we are not getting answers from anyone!! he may have to go to an oncologist, and with no answers or anything, we have SO many questions.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Is the 567 for a total white blood count or for only one type of white blood cell (there are 5 different kinds)?

Is your nephew showing any other concerning symptoms? If not, that may be why the doc isn't obviously concerned right now & will just continue to test your nephew to see if the count stays stable, goes up or down.

Your sister could also seek out a second opinon if she feels this doctor is not communicating with her well enough.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• whole count...

shes seen a hematologist a gastroenterologist and shell be seeing an oncologist....
    yeah he has other symptoms he is 4 months and doesnt really do much of anything, he weighs only 9 lbs but eats all the time, he has pooping issues and his billiruben is very high as well...

theyve tested him many times and his numbers keep getting lower or higher.. last time his white cells were even lower than 567
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would say the weight issue alone would be a concern for me and If I were you I would find a different doctor. As for the white blood cells I am not 100% Positive as to what that means. But, I know you can just have a simple virus and have a low white blood cell count. .. If I were you I would be VERY concerned with the weight ..
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• He needs to see a pediatric hematologist right away. He may have a form of severe chronic neutropenia.  My daughter has cyclic neutropenia,and it took years for her to be properly diagnosed.  The total white count for an infant should be over 4,000. The count you really need to know, however, is his ANC or absolute neutrophil count (normal is > 1,500). This is the % of segmented neutrophils (also called polys or segs) + the % of bands x WBC. For example if his total WBC = 1000, and his segs are 32% and his bands are 1%, his ANC = 33% x 1000 = 330. Repeated ANC's below 500 are very concerning, and should be evaluated immediately. Contact the Severe Chronic Neutropenia International Registry for information and a referral to a doctor with experience treating childhood neutropenia: http://depts.washington.edu/registry/
    CCHSMOM

Answer by CCHSMOM at 5:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• The phone number for the SCNIR (the registry) is 1-800-SCN-4INF or 1-800-726-4463. Good luck! I hope you get an answer soon!
    CCHSMOM

Answer by CCHSMOM at 5:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2010