How can I chidproof my oven? Someone please help me!!! And oh, my dryer and dishwasher as well...My kids think they can play hide and seek in them.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• duct tape...but it makes it kind of hard to use them.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 12:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• we just had this happen to us! Babies r us has some great locks you can buy for your oven and you can use other ones for your dryer and dishwasher
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 12:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Stores do sell appliance safety locks I think safety 1st sells the biggest line of child safety items, google appliance safety locks
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Also if you want a quik fix find a bungie cord big enough to wrap around the entire appliance and lock the hooks together but make it tight so they can't be easily unhooked
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• While I realize that you can purchase safety equipment, I think the best thing here would be better supervision and correction. Because if they go to someone ELSE's house, the likelihood that they too will have locks on every possible door, is not high. They need to learn that these things are NOT toys and are for ADULTS only.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 12:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• A) A quick lesson in cause and effect (useful for even the youngest of your crew)... Turn the oven on BROIL, let it heat up, open it, and stick something in that will melt/burn. Make the kids watch, and explain to them "That is what will happen to you if you put any part of your body, or any living thing in here".

B) Do the same with the dryer, a tupperware container, and a crayon. They MUST learn WHY the should not do this.

C) Like PP said, there are locks you can buy @ Walmart, Target, Babies R US, etc. The problem is, that if you have a smart cookie, by the age of 18-24 mos they will figure out to get it off. So you need to teach them WHY it is dangerous, and find appropriate punishments when they DO get into one of the appliances.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• smack their hand and say "no, hot"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Spank them when they touch them...it's dangerous and they have to learn that.  My kids knew by the time they were 18 months not to touch the appliances and to stay away from the stove when someone was cooking.  We've never had to use locks on them (or any baby proofing actually).

I mean, my youngest is 4 and we have a patio door in the kitchen that has no deck.  It drops 5' to the ground below and we have nothing blocking the screen.  She has known since she was 3 to stay away from the door or she could get hurt.  We used to have a gate up there and only use it if my friend's dd comes around and the only person to almost fall out the door...my 63yo father.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010