Not really a question, just venting......

My sister is an alcoholic. She was recently in the hospital and is now sober, but has been for only a short time. After getting out of the hospital, her husband, who was also an alcoholic, died from liver failure and pancreatitis. On the day he died, his family immediately took their daughter and they are refusing to give her back. They went to court to get temporary custody of her, and were successful. I can understand their concern, but they told a lot of lies in court, while a lot of it was the truth, they lied quite a bit too. Yes, my sister is an alcoholic, but she has never hurt her daughter. Don't they have to prove any of these lies? I'm so upset by this, my sister isn't a bad mother. I understand how this sounds, but please no bashing.

MomMom23

Asked by MomMom23 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in About CafeMom

• well, maybe while she is getting back on her feet, this is the best thing for the little one. as much as it sucks to have her baby taken away, she can use this time to get better! even stress from taking care of a little onecan set an alcoholic off into a drink....so maybe while her dd is away, she can focus, get herself back together and go back to court fighting, to prove that she is going to be well taken care of, in every capacity.
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If they already have temporary custody then there's no much to do but wait until the next custody hearing. There your sister can go and prove that's she's a fit mother. Unfortunatly, that's what she has to do at this point.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• im sorry but being an alcoholic and being hospitalized for it and having a dad who is an alcoholic and being around it IS hurting the children.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I understand it's a bad situation for a child to be around, but she has been sober and is putting her life back together. And I do agree that her in-laws should have her daughter for a while, but they're going about it the wrong way and they lie to her about her mother. They told her that her daddy was in heaven because her mommy was mean to him. They were both alcoholics, not just her.
    MomMom23

Comment by MomMom23 (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010