What's a good, reliable, informative source for information on when it's safe to introduce certain foods to baby?

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 12:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Friends, family and even pediatricians are not alwyas up on the latest research.  I like the information here because it cites the research, and is not just someone's opinion:

From kellymom.com Why Delay Solids?

First Foods

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• The American Academy Of Pediatrics has put out its recommendations.

Here's the thing. Look for sites that are not advertiser sponsored. Especially beware sites sponsored by baby food makers!

What we did? If WE ate it, our son ate it, starting at six months. Jars need not apply. Mashed veggies, fruits, pasta, then meatballs. Allergenic foods like strawberries were avoided.

Solids are EASY. Don't sweat 'em.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Your peditrician
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Your pediatrician for one. I got a lot of my info from ours. Also, I would ask family, friends, other parents. I don't go to online resources for that sort of thing. I would also glimpse through our What to Expect books and I also have a book called Homemade baby food Pure and Simple.
    It depends on what you want to try. A lot of professionals say no peanut butter the first year but I would give my baby like little tastes here and there and watch for any reactions. I've also heard no strawberries the first year but I didn't hear that until after my daughter had been eating them for a few months.
    I think it also depends on your baby and what you think they can handle. At 8 and 9 months, we were experimenting with tomatoes and cucumbers (sliced and skin removed of course) and I think she had a blueberry muffin back then...
    But it was all stuff we were pretty sure she can handle. Parent instincts are just as valuable! xoxo
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 1:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/131235/why_delay_solids_until_your_baby_is.html?cat=25
    Great info here!!
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Dr. Sears' website
    La Leche League's website

A REEALLLY good source - but it's a book and not online - is Dr. zur Linden's A Child Is Born. His book is a wide-ranging and thorough guide to everything about mothering - self-care for breastfeeding, advice on diapering and clothing a child from birth to 7, sleep and mental development, nutrition, nursing during illnesses, play, etc. etc.

Also Dr. Norbert Glas' book Conception, Birth and Early Childhood gives similar advice ... it's just not as detailed.

These books make mothering a creative and empowered adventure. I NEVER felt bored by even the most routine details, because these books explained the real impact of what I was doing with my kids, and showed the way to offer them deep-seated joy and strength in each new phase of their development.
    Now that they are amazing adults, I can vouch for the value of these books !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• google it
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 1:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I mostly go buy the guide the pediatrician gave me. Except we skipped rice cereal and waited until 7 months to start solids.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I did what my pedi told me to:)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010