Binkies...how to get rid of them!?

My daughter will be 2 in August. We are trying to wean her off of her binkie. She only has it for naps and bed and we want to get rid of it completely. We live with my in laws and thier five kids and have had everyone telling her that binkies are gross and for little babies. She agrees with us during the day and refuses to touch them. She even slept two naps and the last two nights without it. But today I have been unable to get her to take a nap and finally had to give it to her to stop her from screaming.

What should I do? Is she old enough for this?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally, I feel that they are only little for really 5 years out of 100, so..I prefer to let mine keep the comfort object until they want to give it up. And USUALLY, most kids give it up by 5 all on their own. So, who would it really hurt to let them keep it until then?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I just started hiding them and forgetting about them. Or if they started biting them and tearing holes in them then I threw them away, once they were all gone, I didnt buy any more and didnt mention them anymore. Good luck momma!
    mommaof3girls24

Answer by mommaof3girls24 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• id tell her youre giving binkies to the "babies" put them in an envelope and "mail" them to all the babies out there that need them!! my sister did this with her son who was a "sucky king" lol and he never questioned it and never wanted one again!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I took my daughter's away right when she turned 2 as well. Cold turkey is the only way that will work. Just take it away and let her scream and cry until she falls asleep. It isn't fun but she will realize she doesn't need it. Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• thats nice let her fall asleep crying, do you like crying yourself to sleep
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• your baby doing great, she is slowly weaning herself off her binkie. pat her on the back
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• momnbaby - No need to be nasty:) Everyone has different parenting styles, what works for some, does not work for others. And yes, sometimes falling asleep crying isn't such a bad thing.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Is it possible to just let it be used for sleeping? She will give it up on her own. Friends of mine have three is the crib and do not hand it to their son when he goes to bed. They just let him use it if he wants to. It is left in the crib and can not be used all around the house.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• What my friend did was every couple days she clipped the tip of it with the nail clippers. It didnt feel the same so he didnt want it anymore and was done. I have another friend that told her daughter that on her 2nd birthday the "binkie fairy" would come and take her binkie and trade it for a new big girl toy, and then take the binkie to the new babies that needed it. That approach worked. My son wasnt real interested anymore at about 6.5 months so i jsut took it away. He didnt seem to miss it.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Just do it!
    My son was down the bed and nap only and he bit and broke his last 2 binkies, so we didn't buy more.
    Every night for the first 3 days he cried for a binkie after brushing his teeth but now almost 2 weeks later no problem at all. He is 2.
    Miss_Magnolia.

Answer by Miss_Magnolia. at 12:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2010