Do you keep children's tylenol/motrin in your house?

I dont and when I told our new pedi that yesterday, she acted shocked like Id just morally offended her... I thought I was doing the right thing by not exposing my child to that stuff...
So... do you keep it on hand at all times?

Aqua_Jen

Asked by Aqua_Jen at 1:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I do - I like to have it on hand just in case
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 1:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I always keep it just in case. I only give it if he had a real high fever, like over 102, but, I have it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• usually, yes. Because you never know when they will spike a dangerous fever. Due to the recall though I threw mine away and just haven't gotten more yet.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Of course I did when they were little. Now they are older and use the adult stuff if needed.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I do. It's easier to have it on hand than have to go buy it if/when my child wakes up with a fever. Of course it's out of his reach, though.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I do but hardly ever use it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Dont get me wrong, I HAVE used it but I dont keep it on hand normally. After the last tylenol recall, I actually tossed the bottle that I had and havent replaced it. Luckily, my kid has only had a fever once.
    Aqua_Jen

Comment by Aqua_Jen (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• no, I do not. It is EXCESSIVELY RARE that a child would actually "Need" it, and by lowering a mid grade temp, of lets say, 102, you prolong the viral or bacterial infection... The body raises its temp to KILL OFF unwanted bacterial and viral infections.

Dehydration is the ONLY concern of a temp, unless your child already has a medical condition that puts them at risk. Seizures are NOT caused by a high temp, but by complications associated with dehydration.

My kids will show very sudden, VERY high temps (105 or over in less than 1/2 an hour), we almost NEVER use a fever reducer... Just strip them down to undies, use cool compresses, fans, lots of fluids, and an occasional cool bath. Consequently, they NEVER stay ill for more than a couple days, and are very rarely ever ill at all.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, just in case, though we rarely need to medicate.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, I have some in the house. Just like I have regular tylenol - well actually acetominophen, I use store brand. A fever is not the only reason to use tylenol. My 7 yo gets cluster headaches and we give him tylenol for that. Also if my 4 yo hits his head or might need it for other pain relief reasons.

We don't actually use it that often, but it's nice to have it on hand at 3am rather than having to run to 7/11 or something.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010