Cloth Diapering ?

I am really wanting to try cloth diapers with our new baby that will be born in November, we already have a ten month old and I would like to switch her as well. Where can I go to buy some for cheep to try a little while before I go buying alot of them, I just dont want to spend tons then not like them etc.

bshelly

Asked by bshelly at 1:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The most economical way to go is prefolds. All you need is the prefolds, and a waterproof diaper cover (and this can be used a few times over unless it gets wet or soiled).

There are SO many inexpensive options out there. Join a cloth diapering group here on CM and you'll get TONS of help and information! We're going to CD our baby due in October, and they've helped me a lot!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• check out the group cloth diapering mamas and the website diaperswappers.com. You can also try craigslist for cheap used ones.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I take my hat off to you if you want to try it. I found it to be something that didn't work for our family. If I could afford a diaper service maybe it would have been doable but we were so busy with the other kids running to activities and such. And the whole expense of the inserts in addition wasn't that big of a deal. The difficult part for me was the smell, and I really didn't like washing the diapers in the toilet, and keeping up with the laundry was more than I could handle. I hope it works for you. Good Luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• The most economcal and easiest to launder are flats or prefolds (flats need to be folded and dry faster than prefolds), with pins or snappis, and afew thirsties covers (i like duo wraps). I like mine unbleached. They are my easiest laundry, the only start to smell if yo go 3 or more days between washes. I use a rubbermaid trash bin with a washable diaper liver to contain and we have no issues with odor. I don't dunk my diapers, though I scrape the poo off after we started solids into the toilet, sometimes it just falls off (you are supposed to do the sme for disposables...people don't realize that. Poo in trash is gross). Breastmilk poo needs no scraping, it washes right out. We do elimination communication too so we don't have a lot of poopies in diapers. We've been accident free for 3 days and my baby is 9 months old. There is some place that gives a trial kit of stylesto try. I will try to find it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i am pretty "green" and i couldnt do it. SO much faster eaiser to throw away!! gl though!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 1:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• ... just want to mention, in case you don't hear about it, that wool "soakers" are the way to go for a cover for your diapers.
    They are what we used before plastic covers were invented and hit the markets.
    Made of wool, they allow the diaper area to have some air circulation, so the wet diaper does not turn into an ammonia factory and create that intense smell - which also means that your child's skin is not being forced to re-absorb compounds which the body just put out of itself.
    Made of wool, they ALSO keep the diaper area from getting chilled - it is a large area of the body, those lower organs are trying to grow, and they NEED a lot of warmth (110 degrees) to function properly, so being chilled is a BIG deal for the child's current health AND future health as an adult; especially if she will be a woman bearing children.
    Traditionally, soakers have the natural lanolin still in them (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think the trial website is luvaboos.com I never trialed, so I can't give you more info.

Tip: natural fiber is better than synthetic (microfiber is notorious for odor after a while)
    Tip: for the most part people who say it is too complicated MADE it more complicated, AND they may not be putting disposable diaper poo (after solids introduced) into the toilet. The only processing difference is that cloth is washed and you have to drive to the store to spend more money on disposables (and diper genie inserts if that's what you use).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• ... natural lanolin still in them (cont'd) and can be re-treated with lanolin. Why? Because lanolin neutralizes odors and chemically prevents the formation of ammonia.

Made of wool, soakers ABSORB the wetness so that a wet diaper doesn't get the baby's clothes or the mama's lap wet. Wool absorbs some amazing ratio of moisture.

Check it out. soakers are the way to go !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I really like the Bum genius 3.0. They are not cheap, but they will last a long time, and will fit babies 8-35 lbs. If I was not using those I would probably go with the Flip diapers (they are less expensive)

Check out Bum Genius

Flip Diapers

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I ordered mine from TheLuvYourBaby.com site. Best prices I could find.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010