How soon in advance should you start looking for a house out of state?

DH and I are buying for the first time but we're leaving the state because of his job. I might be able to drive up to take tours on the weekends but a lot will have to be done from here. I don't like that since buying a house is huge and I don't wanna get ripped off online. We're moving late October. When should we get this started? Any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Why dont you just wait til you get there to buy it? You could do it long distance but then you wont get a real feel for the neighborhood or the house.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well I would call a realator in the area you're moving to and ask how long closing usualy takes in that area. I've seen states where closing is only a month but around here in WNY it can take 3-4 months (and in that case I would start looking now)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You should start as soon as you can. We've been looking to buy locally for the past year and I still haven't found THE house. Also, look online. Most realtors have websites with virtual tours of the homes for sale. Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• asap
    just browse to satart
    make a list of must haves and must not haves
    be prepared to compromise but not settle for what is no the must not have
    do not want to settle because you feel rushed
    gl finding new home, and safe travel
    make it a fun task to look
    can be a drag, so take a break if you are not "feeling in the house hunt mood"
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Just a thought, have you considered trying to rent a house so you can get to know the area first. Sometimes, you can rent a house that is for sale, so then you can have a month to month lease type thing. It can be a good/bad thing though. You may need to move if they sell the house but put it in your lease you need a certain number of days to move. Since it will be your first purchase there are so many things to know before you lock in. Get to know the neighborhoods, the property values, where the crime rate is, what school you may want your kids to attend, zoning laws, winter parking ordinances (if it is somewhere with snow), which neighborhoods allow you to park outside or have landscaping requirements, which neighborhoods have young families in them, stuff like that. What an exciting time though. I loved looking for our house.!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would assume the whole purchasing of a home process could take months. I agree with all the girls above, maybe try to rent and get a feel for the area you will be living in. And this move going to be pretty permanent? I wouldn't want to purchase a home unless I knew it was going to be for the long haul, as in the next decade. Especially in this economy. But that's just me!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, rent first then you can take your time to look at the the area.Never rush when it comes to buying a house.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2010