Pulse rate

This is probably a strange question. My son is 13 months old and we were just laying on the couch and it felt like his heart was beating so fast. I tried to take his pulse and I think it's somewhere around 150-160, it was a little hard to tell because it was going so fast I don't know if I counted perfectly. Does anyone know if that's a normal pulse rate for a baby?

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 1:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Babies tend to have a faster heart rate than kids and adults. As they get older, then it slows down. Anything over 200 is cause for worry. Ki was born with a fast heart rate problem and I had to check her with a stethoscope several times a day, it became second nature.
    You should ask your kid's doctor about it the next time he is in, or call and ask about it. Some times, heart things aren't diagnosed until later on.
    And, it's hard to get an accurate rate just feeling the pulse if you don't do it on a regular basis, especially on wiggly kids and when it's going fast.
    The easy way for me to do it when I don't have the stethoscope with me is to feel her chest, and count it like "one and two and three and..."
    That way, I'm only counting every other beat like it's supposed to be done.
    150 is a little high, but not dangerously high.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Every child is different at that age. There is a wide normal range and his could be called normal.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• He has a well baby check up tomorrow and I'll bring it up then, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I should be concerned with right away. Thanks ladies!
    Quentinsmamma

Comment by Quentinsmamma (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010