How do you feel when people say they are "staying together for the kids"

Im not in this predicament but one of my friends recently told me she is only with her husband for the sake of their children.. How do you feel about this?

xxMasonsMommaxx

Asked by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it's the most asinine way of thinking, and that the one's who are really going to suffer in the end ARE the kids! Doesn't set a very good example for them either.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• As a person whose parents stayed together "for the kids" I feel sorry for the children. They end up growing up feeling guilty that their parents were miserable for them. I know now, it wasn't my fault, but as a kid, I knew my parents didn't want to be together and felt responsible for their pain because the were together for my brother and me.
    Divorce sucks, both for parents and kids, but it's a better solution than being in an unhappy home and feeling responsible for it.
    But, like I said, I only really know this from the kid's perspective, not the adults.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think that is one of the worst decisions someone can make. In the long run it will only hurt the kids.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Divorce is difficult, but it's much more stressful as a child to be exposed to constant conflict.

BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 1:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I feel that there is a chance that they might pass their unhappiness to their children. My ex husbands parents did that & even he said when he got older that it would have been better for everyone if they just got a divorce. It would have saved lots of drama & he thinks he might have actually had loving parents if they werent together hating each other.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think as long as the kids don't know that, it's their decision.
    JandAsMommy

Answer by JandAsMommy at 1:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It depends on how miserable they are making life for the child.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• soundns misreable!
    johnny4ever

Answer by johnny4ever at 1:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• They have been arguing alot, and most of the time it is in front of the kids..
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Comment by xxMasonsMommaxx (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think kids know a lot more than their parents think they know....in the long run being miserable in a marriage for the sake of the kids HURTS the kids. Finding what makes you happy will improve your attitude and mental health and your kids will see that. I am so glad I finally ended the marriage I was in just for the sake of my son. I've never been happier and neither has he.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010