Do you have an only child?

ive been told before how selfish my hubby and i are to have just one.

johnny4ever

Asked by johnny4ever at 1:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• My husband and I only have one. We're trying for a second, but the drs think I have PCOS so there's a chance we'll only have one. And it's not selfish to only have one.
    carolinamom84

Answer by carolinamom84 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I do only have one, but we plan on having one or to more. It's not selfish of you, it's your decision...though I do want to give my son a sibling.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have only the one and have also been told it's selfish. I figure it's less selfish to not give her siblings than to give her a sibling that we can't afford. With just Ki, we can provide for her, but if there were more, they would both be short changed.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• selfish for whom??? Are they going to be the ones getting up at 2AM?? feeding and clothing the child? taking care of it when it is sick? paying for college?? tell them to Mind their own business......
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I was an only....I now have a 14y/o only. However, I am planning on kids once I get married to my SO. LOL So, he will still feel like an only.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• only selfish if you have more children than you want
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i do but we are trying for another. I've never had anyone tell me i am selfish. He is 5
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• no, we have soon to be 4 kids.
    I personally don't think that having only one child is selfish. But I do know that my mom is an only child, and now that she's grown she wishes she had a sibling to share things with. Her parents have passed and she's the only one besides her uncle and his family that are alive.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I've NEVER thought of having an only child as being selfish. I have always thought it was just a choice parents made for whatever reason (only wanted one, only afford one, couldn't physically have more, the list goes on).

Our only child will turn into a big brother in a few months. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have a 4 1/2 year old only and luckily people have pretty much stopped asking if/when we are going to have another
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010