How do I ask a guy out without seeming too forward?

I took my son to get his hair cut. I am a single mom. I have been very low key for a while and no one has caught my interest. Even guys that are totally hot. I usually just see right threw them. But yesterday I meet the barber and he writes down his cell number on the back of this business card. My teen daughter said he was checking me out. We exchanged words and we both had that "glance" ! So how do I break the ice? What do I say when I call. I figured he gave me his cell number for a reason because I could always just call him at the shop. I am so old fashion and do not no how to date anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I wouldn't want to call him! lol He should have asked for your number! I think that's really cute though...lol Is there any reason you could go back and maybe like get your hair cut or go with someone else, flirt a little and give him your number? lol
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would give him a call and just start out with some small talk. Then ask if he would like to get a drink later and talk in person. Some guys like when women make the first move.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 1:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If you make the move it seems desparate
    Go back with YOUR number! :) lol
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 1:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Just call and tell him who you are, and that he gave you his number. Ask him if he wants to go out for a but of coffee or something. Go somewhere where you can talk though, and get to know each other. I know it is strange for a woman to ask out a man, but if you don't try, you might miss something really awesome!
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 1:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You go Girl!! I am pleased to hear that you are considering this. Call him up and remind him who you are, ask him for a cup of coffee or lunch or a pizza at a small place where you can chat. Or if he'd be interested in joining you in the park and you'll bring the sandwiches.

Answer by Bmat at 1:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would call and see where the small talk takes you with him..bring up movies and see if there is one he wants to see and tell him you want to see that one as weel and offer to go to the movies together
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• He did the right thing, by the way, of giving you his number. This puts the shoe on your foot and protects your privacy if you aren't interested.

• Wow, sounds like you guys really hit it off if he gave you his personnal cell phone number. I mean really, if you need a hair appointment you could just call the shop and ask for him. Um.. This is what I would do,,,cause Im a big chicken. I would call his cell and ask for another hair appt, this time for you, alone. That way you guys can talk one on one without dd being there and you can get a better feel for the guy and his intentions. good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies, call and make an appointment that way you are removing the odd phone call. Heck if you feel comfortable enough with him after the appointment then ask him to have dinner with you sometime.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• While I agree with bmat regarding his putting you at ease by making it your call, men don't get we old school women don't want to be the one to make the first move. I would start up a face to face the next time I see him...ask if he is on facebook etc. If he is then you could chat and it would be less invasive.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010