Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

The Michigan Government requires children to take 2 years of gym to graduate, if your child has a birth defect and cannot do things in gym what do you do as far as forms a Doctor can fill out or is there something else I could do, I contacted the school and they don't know he goes to a private school. Thank you for taking the time to read this and answer I really appreciate it.

Answer Question

Asked by bb1214 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You could try contacting the school board, not the actual school, but the people above them. Or try calling someone in the state.
    If it's something they can't physically do, then they can't be held back for it.

    Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • In CA we had to have two years of HS PE class to graduate as well, but if you were disabled or something like that, there's always alternatives like health education or just participating to a bouncing balls around or weight lifting or whatever. I would talk to the school about it...i'm sure they have other alternatives for your child.

    Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • In public schools you just have the doctor write a letter to the principal and gym teachers in the school stating the health diagnosis and why it prevents the child from participating. Some schools will just give them less to do. My freshman gym class had pregnant girls and people with downs syndrome. They tried to find something that everyone could do.

    Answer by amber710 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • if he/she is in special ed then i'm sure that teacher would make sure their gym experience would be comfortable and stuff "they" could do.

    Answer by shay1130 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • contact Deb Berkey (517) 335-4998

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • Talk to your doctor or the head your child's school. I know schools in Milwaukee, WI have special ed for people with disabilities.

    Answer by SparklingHope at 1:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • Can the school provide an adaptive gym program? Depending on the disability, almost any program can be adapted to work around the child's special needs. If your child's school has a decent P.E. teacher, he or she should be familar with the concept & could work with you to modify existing P.E. curriculum to whatever level your child is capable of participating. This is what we have always done for our son & every P.E. teacher has been receptive to the idea.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • If your child has special needs adn has an IEP, it should be written into the plan that he cannot participate in gym class. You should be calling the special education department of the school system you are in or the state department of education.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.