Has anyone ever used Play Therapy?

I have a three year old who has been through a lot with witnessing her father and I split up and other situations, she has shown a lot of aggression recently. I had a post up earlier in the week and a lot of people confirmed my idea of counseling. I've found a place near me that offers play therapy counseling for three year old children, but I cannot find much information on the subject. Has anyone used this type of counseling? What was your experience? Would you recommend it?

MelaneesMommie

Asked by MelaneesMommie at 1:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have never done it through counseling, but we do participate in play therapy through early intervention services. The therapist that comes to our house had all sorts of experience with it and told us so many great things about it. We see great improvement in his behavior! I would do it if I were you!!!!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• have used therapy for my daughter
    not this iisue but for autism issues

can only help, i would look into it
    and you may learn to copy the therapists play so you can continue at home

MAYBE if going through court in divorce, the court may suggest a therapist for child

gl
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My 6yr. old DS recently finished play therapy after going once a week for almost two years. It helped SO much! He was also having some agression issues, as well as a lot of anxiety. He went once a week and his therapist was really nice. She mostly played some games with him, to help him build up his self-esteem and such but my child grew and blossomed so much. He still has some minor agression issues but she felt that he no longer needed to be seen on a regular basis, so we are just dealing with those at home. It's nothing like it used to be though!
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have done this with my son, at home and with the help of a therapist! my son has developmental disability and has been through 4 brain surgeries, and MANY treatments and hospital stays! So we do LOTS of doctor play. We bring home real gowns and "sleepy masks" from the hospital so we can practice going to sleep. We have teddy bears with bandaged heads and wheelchairs and pretend needles and doctor masks and latex gloves. Before his last brain surgeries, I wrote him a book about a caterpillar that was having brain surgery and we read it and talked about it over and over. Eventually Elijah started saying, "Just yike ME??" at the end of each page. It really helped him understand what was happening and deal with it better. I hope it helps your child as well!! Good luck to you!
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• No I have not used it but at a young age I think play therapy sounds like a wonderful option !!!
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:14 AM on Jul. 6, 2010