Do you put your child in the corner?

I tried doing the "corner" and it's working pretty well. The threat of "time out" wasn't doing it anymore. What do you do when your kids are misbehaving? What consequences do you have for them?

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I do. When they are in TimeOut and getting in trouble (throwing things, hitting brother, screaming, spitting...) they have to stand in the corner, instead. Which they hate!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I put Samuel on a chair away from things so stuff isn't in his reach that he could fidget with and make him sit there until he calms down. Then I talk to him.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 1:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• my son's time out spot is a rug in the kitchen. he's not 3 yet, and we have a hard time getting him to stay in time out so we need to work on discipline for sure!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• NO I JUST BUST THERE BUTTS !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 1:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Not in the corner, but we have a time-out spot.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Not in the corner but in the middle of the kitchen where she can't see the tv and can't goof off with something in reach. I also set the timer on the microwave so she knows how long she has to stay there for without hearing 100 "can I get up yet".
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• No, I do not put my daughter in the corner but we do have a place for her to do her time-outs.
    Jordyn1202

Answer by Jordyn1202 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• time-outs for all my kids are done in the corner.  I tried other things with my older kids and just putting them in a chair or something didn't work.  They thought it was a game and would get up as soon as I turned my back or the kids not being punished would climb in the chair and they would all play (hardly a punishment).

So I started the corner thing.  My 4yo is now to the point she has to stay facing the corner with her nose touching the wall and no whining.  When she's 5 she will be expected to stand with her toes and nose touching and hands at her side.  It worked great with my older kids.  Making them stand as still as possible forced them to concentrate on just that and they would calm down quickly.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010