Overwhelmed with housework and cleaning everything.

Do you ever get this way? What's your method to keeping everything clean and organized, without going insane over the endless task???

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I like order and mess just adds stress, so I just straighten and clean as I go. My older kids and their lack of neatness drove me insane. Thankfully the biggest culprit moved out. I also hear fly lady is a good resource site.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• yes! i am! the inlaws are coming this weekend and i'v been cleaning like crazy, but the next day it's always twice as dirty.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't go insane. If i am too busy, i let it slide & do it the next day. I would rather have calm nerves & a messy home, then freak out & have a clean house. DH always helps though, especially if he knows i was not home during the day to do it while he was at work.

Regardless though, i still keep my house clean...I'm just saying that i won't cry if i have to let it slide once in a while.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Doing what you can when you can. Be proud and glad for what you did get done. Not sweating the small stuff. Having totes and good places for everything too. Its a endless battle. Good luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I get this way too. I guess because it seems like the job is never done, and even when I clean all day, by the night time it looks like crap again.. lol.. Really I just try to keep everything wiped off, toys picked up, floor swept and dishes done and just by that alone it makes it look so much nicer. Then I tackle everything else as need be. I also try to do atleast 1 load of laundry per day that way it doesnt build up and become overwhelming.. Doesnt always work that way needless to say, but I try! Lol. Goodluck to you.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• flylady.net is my saving grace for housework. Here is a link to her online radio show http://www.blogtalkradio.com/flylady
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yeah, especially if I get sick then everything suffers. I finally made a cleaning schedule to go by. Like Monday is the living room. Tuesday is the kitchen & dining room. Wednesday is my son's room. Thursday is laundry and the master bedroom. Friday is the full and half bathrooms. Saturday is my office..then there are those little daily tasks.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 1:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Every two weeks I do a big clean. Scrub floors, use bleach on my toilet, scrub baseboards, things like that. In between then I just clean up as I go along, my house is very organized there's a basket, cubby, or drawer for everything so I can just put things where ever they go when I'm done, I also rinse dishes and load them in the dishwasher or stack them in the sink as soon as I can when I'm finished with them. Then at night I take about thirty minutes to an hour and wipe down surfaces, sweep, vacuum, and fold laundry. But like a PP said if theres a day when I'm not feeling well or I'm super busy then I don't feel bad not cleaning those days.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 1:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I just don't worry about it. Seriously. Life is too short, and no one ever had "World's Best Housekeeper" on her tombstone. I do what NEEDS to be done,. and the rest gets done whenever I get around to it. For me, it's the only way to handle the essentially endless nature of it. I just don't consider it all that important and devote only as much thought to it as I do to brushing my teeth every day. It gets done because it needs to get done but I've got better things to worry about.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I used to go nuts cleaning. I now try to go by the saying "clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy". It helps me keep things in perspective and relax. Remember that someone is coming over to visit with you, not to inspect your house (and if they are then they shouldn't be there!!) :)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010