what else can I do for my sons fever...

my son, 26 months old, has a slight fever of 101. I felt like something was going on w/ him yesterday (and my instincts were right), and today after playing outside for a bit, I noticed he just wanted to lay on the couch. He was feeling VERY warm and sweaty, I took his temp and it was about 101. He has some cold water by his side (he's napping on the couch). He hasnt been throwing up, he ate his breakfast but refused lunch. I gave him some elderberry syrup which is an herbal medicine good for the ailments my son has. What else can I do? Should I call the dr with this temp.? This is only his 2nd time ever, having a fever which is why i'm clueless.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i think you are doing an awesome job if this is his second fever in two years!
    i personally, do not do fever reducers.
    i have never seen a fever go over 101 in my home, and i wouldn't be too concerned unless the temp hit 104.
    a temp has to be 106.7 or 107.6 (i don't recall which) before it can cause brain damage, unless your child has neurological issues.
    lots of love, rest and water is the best thing for your child! if the water isn't appealing i would not be opposed to offering juice or sprite or a popsicle.
    good luck to you mama!
    and good health to your lo!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If he's not uncomfortable and is drinking, then it's okay until it gets to about 102. A fever is the bodies natural way to fight infection and sickness. You could try taking off some layers of clothing if he isn't comfy, and giving him a cool bath, popsicles, cold sprite.
    I would call the doctor if it continues into tomorrow. And this is assuming he doesn't have any other health problems. If he does, then I'd call today.
    This is what I do with my kid, and I only have the one, so I am by no means an expert on the matter.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I like Ibuprofen. It always works wonders on my kids. Also a cool washcloth on his forehead. I wouldn't call the doctor.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Also, giving him a cool, wet cloth to play with/hold helps too. Totally agree with the pops! Even I like those when I am sick :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Start with tylenol. Then if his temp doesn't get gown under 100, give ibuprofen. If his fever still won't go down under 100, call the pediatrician. You can also use a lukewarm bath and lukewarm washcloths on his head.
    CarlyQ

Answer by CarlyQ at 1:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I'll try a cool bath after his nap! that's a good idea. As for clothing, he is only in a tshirt and clth training pants. it is nice and cool in the house. He hasnt exactly been downing the water, but he has been drinking it on and off. The fever is the only symptom I am noticing, so hopefully it will kill off whatever is forming. If it continues I will definately call the dr.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2010