Do you "punish" your children? & If so, what techniques do you use to do so

Im raising my 11 year old little brother, and when he does something unacceptable he either gets things taken away, like video games or the computer.. Or he gets to have a little break in his room alone, which I usually go in after about 10 minutes and try to explain why he got put there. He does get off easy most of the time though

xxMasonsMommaxx

Asked by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your doing great. Like the one poster said, make sure you follow through on your punishments or he'll think he can get away with things.

BTW, I think its awesome what your doing for your brother!!
    tanya777

Answer by tanya777 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Sounds like you are doing fine. Every child has his "currency", something that is most important to him and they really miss a lot when it is taken away as punishment. When I sent my kids to their room they were to lay on the bed and think abut what had gone wrong. Could not use toys, games, etc that were in there.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• that is what i do with my kids.
    some things, like lying get tougher punishments like not being able to do what the other kids do. that one kills my 5 yo!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• your doing a good job! just make sure to follow through on your punishments though.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 2:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Our son is 5. We use the 1-2-3 method (which doesn't work for all kids), time-out, and the taking away of privileges.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Thank you all so much :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Comment by xxMasonsMommaxx (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2010