Gates' & Buffett ask the nation's billionaires to pledge to give at least half their net worth to charity, in their lifetimes or at death - Thoughts?

FORTUNE -- Just over a year ago, in May 2009, word leaked to the press that the two richest men in America, Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, had organized and presided over a confidential dinner meeting of billionaires in New York City. David Rockefeller was said to have been a host, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Oprah Winfrey to have been among those attending, and philanthropy to have been the main subject.

Pushed by the press to explain, Buffett and Gates declined.

And so it was. But that discussion -- to be fully described for the first time in this article -- has the potential to dramatically change the philanthropic behavior of these Americans, inducing them to step up the amounts they give.

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/06/16/gates-buffett-600-billion-dollar-philanthropy-challenge/

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Beach, nice story. As a request, I don't mind. All of us have benefited from the generosity of the wealthy, there are many, many foundations in this country that help communities and individuals. Our new town library has been well-supported by our community, with many large donations from our wealthier citizens.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think if a rich person wants to give money to charity or leave it all to their family that is their own business. I am not going to be overly impressed by it. I am more impressed by the people who give of their time, talents and money without a camera on them. They get things done and don't make it about them.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Whatever..... They can ask whatever they want of whoever they want. I'm not impressed.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I am not sure why this would be a secret. If they give it GREAT if they dont, well, it's THEIR money! LOL
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I thought they were going to already...the death tax is coming back....I can't think of a bigger charity case than our own government.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think this is a good thing...not that they're being forced to by anyone but that there are actually people that wealthy that do care about what happens after they're gone.

Too often we're focused on the negative aspects of money, greed & power and I for one think it says a lot about these men that they gathered their peers together for a discussion of this type...

What do you ladies think about this?
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• now that is a healthy competition

hope they are racing for points and credits
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think people should do whatever they want with their riches. I do know a few extremely dysfunctional people who inherited the silver spoon...Maybe it's better to spread the wealth.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I guess this is the modern day version of noblesse oblige.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Man you people are depressing - it was supposed to be a 'feel good' story that these people are wanting to help others out of good will and not force - but I guess some people will take any opportunity to be a grouch huh?
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2010