Have you ever put air in your car tire before?

I know, this is silly, but I have never done it. One of my tires is low on air right now, and my husband said if I take the car out, I have to put some air in the tire. I am so afraid that I am not going to be able to figure out how to do it. How stupid is that?

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 2:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You have to have a guage or use an airpump that has one. My dad when I graduated from college gave me his ten year old Chrysler LeBaron in mint condition EXCEPT you had to put air in the tire like every other day. LOL Nice. No title so I couldn't trade it in. I drove around with two cans of Fix a Flat in case I couldn't find an air pump. Some are free, but alot are as much as a dollar. QUARTERS only for course! Good luck Courtney!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Aww...I have had to a lot. I seem to always have a problem with low air.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• lol it's not. The air thing at the gas station kicked my ass the first time i used it! go to a tire shop, they will check your pressure and air it up for free.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• just attach the hose to the valve stem, make sure it's on good, then start the air. and if you have a tire pressure gauge try to get it as close to the tire on the other side as possible. but if you cant dont worry about it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• it's not stupid! i pretend that i don't know how to do it because i don't want to touch the tires, lol. if you look at your tires it will tell you how much air to put in, just unscrew the cap and pump it up. have you ever put air in a bicycle tire? it's pretty similar :) or just wait until someone else pulls up and ask for help!
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I was really freaked out about it before I'd ever done it, too. It's really not hard, though. I just took my car to a gas station with free air, pulled the hose around, and stuck it on the little air hole thing for 30 or so seconds. I didn't bother with checking the tire pressure afterwards. I have no idea what is "good" or "bad." I just compared the flatness of the low tire to the others afterwards and if it looked about the same, I assumed it was fine.

That's the best my hubby will get out of me. lol.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I hadn't thought about it before, but I am 30-years-old, and no...I have never put air in any car's tires. Good luck! lol
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Google it! I had to put air in my tire and didn't know how to do it. But I figured it out. Just make sure you have a tire gauge so you don't over inflate it. The amount of pressure the tire needs should be printed on the side of tire. Good Luck!
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have had to so many times I can't count!
    It's not bad though. I would like to be 27 and never had to grab a nasty, dirty tire. I always seem to brace myself on the part with what is hopefully only mud, so it is always so much dirtier.
    You could always go to the gas station and ask one of the employees there or another customer to help you. Most people will.
    I have seen people a lot worse than that while working in a gas station. One lady thought she was low on oil and bought 7 quarts of it and went out to her car. I went for a smoke a couple minutes later and she was just pouring it strait on the engine under the hood. Wasn't going in anywhere, just all over on top. I showed her how to check it and she didn't even need any. It messed her car up something bad. Her father wasn't surprised when he came to tow it for her though!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Not sure if I've ever done it at a gas station (might have).  We have an air compressor at my dad's and I've used that for car and bike tires, pool rafts, balls, etc.

We now have a portable battery charger that also has a small air compressor on it and I use that.  It takes longer but you can keep it in your car for emergencies (it even charges from the lighter while the car is in use).  I think everyone should have one in their trunk (sadly ours is sitting in the kitchen and our car is in another state, lol, hope my husband doesn't need it).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010