How to go from the bed to the crib?

Ok my son is 12 months old and has slept with since the day he was born. i've tried to move him to his crib before and it didnt work so i just left him in my bed. Anyone have any ideas on getting him to sleep in his own bed? everytime i put him in his crib he screams and crys till he makes himself sick. Is there an easier way to do it?

froggiedee

Asked by froggiedee at 2:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe try with just naps right now....
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 2:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I work during the day so he stays at a babysitters and at the babysitters he sleeps in a crib for naps but I cant get him to sleep in a crib at home.
    froggiedee

Comment by froggiedee (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You'll most likely just have to be consistent and let him cry it out. It's going to take some conditioning after having slept in a different spot for a year. Be patient!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• This is what I did. During naptime, I would sit and read a book in the same room until she was asleep. over the course of a week, I would set my chair closer to the door. When I was at the door, I would lay her down and let her fuss for 5 minutes, then check on her. then I would leave for 10 minutes and then check on her. Always increasing the time by 5 minutes. I never made it to 15 minutes before she fell asleep. Once, you get this down, start with bedtime.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Try sidecarring first. http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/index.htm

Or, I advise waiting a few more weeks. 12 months is a time for a major growth spurt and milestone. It is a lot to process.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If you don't want to do the cry it out routine, check out drjaygordon.com. Search the site for SLEEP and it will take you to the best article ever written on transitioning baby from the family bed.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010