My DD isn't sleeping -

Her bed time was 9, but she wouldn't fall asleep until 10, so I started putting her to bed at 8:30 and now she is up until 11. I just don't understand. She doesn't have a lot of sugar, she takes naps at daycare for 1.5 hours. What can I do? She is 4 1/2

allfiller

Asked by allfiller at 2:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe she is like my dd and just has to much excess energy she needs to burn before bed. My dd is almost 4 and we have found that if we take a walk then come home take and take a bath then put her to bed she goes to sleep faster and without all the drama. She was staying up and getting out of bed lots of times. She has a high level of energy so we figured we needed to do something to tire her out more before bed, so far its working. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 2:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think it may be time to take her nap away. When my daughter doesn't take a nap she is asleep by 8 but if she naps it can take her till almost 10 before she is sleeping.
    Jordyn1202

Answer by Jordyn1202 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Can you cut out the nap? Or can you wake her up earlier so that she is more tired by the end of the day?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It sounds like it's time to do away with the nap.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My daughter is 4 and she doesnt take a nap anymore she goes to bed at 9 and sleeps until 8 or 9 and sleeps all night. Shes been doing this since she was 3 she just stopped taking her nap.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If she keeps her nap it should be a 45 min to 1 hour nap. Her naps are too long for her right now. Also, the TV and radio need to be off at 7pm. Stimulation for the tv and radios makes it hard for little ones to wind down. If she's watching TV before bed right now and you cut that out, you may be surprised how quickly she goes to sleep.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• There you have it! The reason is because she is taking a nap during the day. She isn't tired and so she is more apt to stay up later.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010