Does anyone have a crafting business and/or Etsy shop? How much are you making?

I'm wanting to start up a home based business of baby and toddler specialty clothing and accessories. I'm going to start up an Etsy shop with my business name and sell stuff via Etsy as well as at a local shop.

Any of you ladies have any experience with a crafting business? Are you making much in profits? Do you have any advice for someone starting out?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 2:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I made and sold baskets for 20 years. I didn't make a lot from it. Other crafters also say that you don't make your time back on it. Keep your prices competitive, keep your product quality, have some characteristic that is your own characteristic so people can say oh yes I have something by this person also. I did not carry my business online though, so this may give you a huge advantage. You may want to get professional pictures of your items, or be very careful to take pictures that look professionally done, same with your website- I don't know how it works with the site you are considering, but a professional looking ad will help. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 2:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Professional photographs is a great idea and I hadn't thought of that. When posting things online you are dependent on pictures to sell your product. Thanks for that nugget of wisdom.

Etsy is a great site. It's like eBay for crafters. I would also eventually have my own site. My husband is a programmer, so I'd have him build it for me.

ThrivingMom

Comment by ThrivingMom (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Lucky you to have a programmer husband! This will be a huge help! Good luck!

I did open a credit card account, but I found it was too expensive for me to keep it up, and it wasn't offset by enough people buying more and charging. Of course for you selling online, you'll want to do paypal probably or have a credit card option.

Answer by Bmat at 2:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Ebay has been much more successful than Etsy for us. We take our own pictures and phtoshop them. Good pictures make all of the difference. Been doing Ebay for a lot of years, but they have a lot of unfriendly policies for sellers.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2010