Is there anything else I can do??

My baby is 6 months old and she should be sleeping through the night by now but she gets up 2 or 3 times a night still. Ive tried giving her rice in her bottle but its not working. Ive kept her up longer, cut back on naps.And when she does get up at night she'll eat 2 oz and fall back asleep. I dont think i have the heart to let her cry it out. Any suggestions??

hayliesmommy20

Asked by hayliesmommy20 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What silly juggins told you she should be sleeping through the night yet? NOT TRUE. Only two to three weakeups is DAMNED good, hon. Five hours straight is sleeping through the night.

Honestly, more sleep is lost by parents who worry over how to get them to sleep than would be if you just follow her cues, do what she needs quickly, quietly and in dim light. She will sleep longer when SHE is ready to do so. What you do matters not a whit...they all grow into it when they are ready. (Which is why there is no one surefire method...*all* of them will work when used at the right time when baby is going to do it ANYWAY without the effort on your part. If your timing is wrong, NONE of them will work...and there is absolutely no way to know when your timing is right.)

Answer by gdiamante at 2:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Why do you think your 6 month old "should" be sleeping through the night? I think most 6 month olds don't sleep through the night, and if they do, you just got lucky! Research has proven that rice cereal in the bottle (or from a spoon) does NOT make them sleep longer. Pleaseread the info at Baby Bottles and Cereal

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• unfortunatly its her choice. my baby is 13 months and its been 2 weeks since shes been consistantly sleaping all night
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• try giving her a bath before bed.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 2:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• the only thing that worked for me was having him sleep in my bed with me. it was like he would wake up, and if he was in his crib alone, he would get scared and actually really wake up but if he was in bed with me, he sensed that i was next to him and if he woke up, he saw me and went right back to sleep. but now i can barley get him to sleep in his crib unless he falls alseep first and i put him in once hes sleeping. thats okay though. i dont mind for having him sleep in bed with me for a while.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Mine didn't sleep thru the night until she was about 14 months old. It's really up to her and there's not really much you can do about it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• cutting back on naps is counter productive. an pverly tired baby will sleep worse. She might just not be ready to sleep through the night. There are still nights when my dd, who is also 6 months old, wakes 2-3 times. She is breastfed though, so it's expected she'll wake more than a formula baby. Is you LO on solids? If you think she's not getting enough to eat and that's why she's waking you can try that.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with her. She is perfectly normal. I agree 100% with gdiamante.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well I may not be of much help. Both of mine slept through the night (at least 8 hours) by 6 WEEKS. And by 6 months they were sleeping 12 hours. Right now they both sleep from around 8pm to 8 am. (6m and 2 1/2y) I thought putting cereal in the bottle was a bad idea? How much baby food/rice cereal are you feeding her? If you're not feeding her a good amount before bed already you should try it... before she gets really tired. Maybe she is waking up because she's hungry but she's so tired she falls asleep before she get's full. Well good luck!
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 4:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Rice does not help babies sleep through the night and should never ever be given in a bottle. It is normal for children to wake at night until they are 3 YEARS or older.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010