my daughter still breastfeeds

hi, my daughter is 21 months, she still breastfeeds more often then anything else. somedays are more then others. i want to know if you other mothers are in this same situation? how long do you plan to BF? do you ever feel like you just need some time in the day of not BFing?

Preggydyke

Asked by Preggydyke at 2:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• After 15 months old, they should be getting almost all of their nutrients from food and should be eating more than nursing. At around 15 months my DD was nursing in the morning when she woke, once before nap (which was after her lunch), and then once before bed. So she nursed just 3 times a day and ate food and drank water the rest of the time. I weaned her at 18 months because I was 7.5 months pregnant and getting close to delivering her brother.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son is 8 months today, and I plan on BF until he weans himself.... That's what I hope for anyway... This is probably going to be my last child so I'm enjoying every second of it. It's also my excuse to not let my In-laws to take him over night. But if you need some time away pump and go shopping or where ever that you enjoy going by yourself. You have to schedule time to yourself or you'll go crazy. My husband and I are going on a bike ride for a picnic tonight.... Yay!
    Rachel315

Answer by Rachel315 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• a friend of mine, her son is about 21 months old and she still allows him to breastfeed because she follows attachment parenting. He doesnt nurse all the time, but very randomly throughout the day and she only nurses when he wants to nurse. IMO, I think at this age it is more of a habit and bonding thing, but this age is still "passable" for not too old to nurse!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• DD is 18 months and still nurses 3-4 + times a day, depending on my work schedule. I am 11 weeks pregnant, and I don't see her weaning anytime soon. If you want a day off, or even just a few hours, you can either pump(if you haven't for a while don't bother- it probably won't be enough unless you have an oversupply) or just have whoever watches her give her something else to drink. A few hours away at this age won't kill her, and unless she is still nursing every two hours, it's unlikely that you would get uncomfortable. Take time for yourself- a happy relaxed mommy is much better for your daughter than one who feels trapped inside because of feeding :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• op here, she does not take a bottle and rarely a cup. somedays she nurses way more then others. we do atatchment parenting aswell. i am a SAHM. :)
    Preggydyke

Comment by Preggydyke (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I will let mine keep going until they care to stop. not because I feel like it. So, it may be 1 or 4.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• The longest I have nursed is 2yrs.10months. But, I always introduce a cup when I introduce solids (at about six months) and then I do start offering cow's milk at around 18 months as well. It's usaually around 18 months when I feel that they are nursing all.the.time and then after that it tapers down to just naps/before bed and when they are hurt. If you feel like you are needing a break, I would say that your DD is probably old enough where you can begin to start setting some limits w/ nursing. Try distraction, and offering her a cup and cuddles. HTH.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010