Anyone here have multiples (twins/triplets, or more) without it "running in the family"??

I know you're more likely to have multiples if there twins + somewhere in your "family line" but I'm wondering how many of you have had them and not have any other family members ( on either side ) with them??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Tired-

Identical twins are flukes. Even if a few people in the family have had them, it is purely chance, and we haven't been able to find a genetic link so far. The number is pretty even world wide at around 1 in 250 births.

Fraternal twins run in our family, my great grandmother had 3 sets, and my aunts are fraternal twins. My twins are identical.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• From what I understand, it's only fraternal twins that are "genetic" since mom releases TWO eggs at once. Identical twins are essentially a "fluke" since one sperm fertilizes one egg, and then the egg splits in two.

With that being said, my cousin just had twins a couple months ago (identical) and she's the first one in our family to have twins. Same for a good friend of mine (hers are almost 2).
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My sister was the first one in our family that I know of to have twins. She had fraternal twins.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I always understood it as...fraternal twins are genetic from the mother's side since it's she who releases 2 eggs. Identical can be genetic from either side. They are not a fluke. I've seen families who have more than one set of identical twins in their family line.
    TiredbutHappy1

Answer by TiredbutHappy1 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• That's pretty amazing. I have never heard of that. I wish for my next pregnancy DH & I would have twin boys...but it doesn't run in either of our families.
    MarrsBar211989

Answer by MarrsBar211989 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have identical twins ... which is just by chance. However, on my mother's side of the family there are a few twins (my moms cousins).

Identical, or monozygotic, twins develop from a single egg/sperm combination that splits a few days after conception. Their DNA originates from a single source, thus their genetic makeup is the same and the characteristics that are determined by genetics will be similar. Monozygotic twins are always of the same gender, except in extremely rare cases of chromosomal defect.

On the other hand, fraternal, or dizygotic, multiples form when two separate eggs are fertilized by separate sperm in a single ovulation cycle. They are no more alike than any sibling set, sharing about 50% of their genetic markers in a unique combination of genes from both parents.
    Danners

Answer by Danners at 2:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have fraternal twins (boy/girl). I didnt take fertility drugs. Twins do not run in either mine or hubbys family.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 3:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010