What qualifies my son to eat/drink stage 3 foods?

He doesnt quite crawl yet he scoots and he creeps but sometimes he will get on all fours and crawl. He mashes food with his jaw but on the label for stage 3 it says he has to be crawling with his tummy off the ground. He likes to chew food now and everything that he eats, even mik sometimes, he chews it lol. Can I go ahead and give him stage 3 or just wait another month?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 2:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is no "qualification". If you think he is ready for stage 3 foods then give it to him. I made all my son's food so I don't really know what stage 3 is but I assume it has bigger pieces in it and isn't smooth. Give it a try - if he refuses it then stop giving it. Truthfully I would just give him stuff off your plate. My son (he's 1 now) has been eating table food since 8 months. Never had a problem - even when he didn't have any teeth!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Stage 3 baby foods are never really needed. You can go straight to soft table foods, mashed or diced very small. It's fine as long as he is able to handle it - all 4 of mine went completely to table foods by 8 months.

Answer by missanc at 2:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Don't buy stage 3 foods, you don't need to. The only drinks baby needs right now are breastmilk (or formula) and a little water in the sippy cup.
    The stage 3 foods are confusing for many kids and they gag on them because they are a mix of puree and chunks. Just start giving baby pea sized pieces of what you are eating. If you can break it off in the size of a pea, and squish it between your fingers then they can have it (assuming of course it is not an allergen or something like honey they shouldn't have).
    You can just start putting little pieces on his tray, and if he picks it up and eats it then you will know that he is ready!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would give it a try. If he can handle chewing/gnawing, then he's ready. And some kids do NOT crawl before they walk so that's a waste to wait that long.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Hes 7 1/2 months old now
    Alysia_Moore

Comment by Alysia_Moore (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Iw as told by my pedi that it was when they could crawl or 9 months. Whatevers first. However, my son refused to eat baby food and went to table food at 7 months 1 week. Chances are he would be fine. Just give it a try and if he has trouble with the texture, then you can always go back to stage 2.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I agree, just try it and if he gags or isn't handling it well then you know to wait a bit and try again in a month or two. Your assessment is better than anything on a baby food jar- you know your kid best.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Save your money give him soft fruit and veggies or small pieces of regular food her can gum. we never bought baby food. It is never needed. We started 7 1/2 months. Just meal share. No fuss and it is free. Gerber is a waste of money!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My daughter was eating soft table foods at 7 1/2 months old. So If he can mash with his gums and imitates chewin gthen I would say he is ready....
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son didn't crawl until he was 12 months old. He ate and loved stage 3 foods before 12 months old..
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 4:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010