Do you feel like your child will be behind if they aren't in a ton of activities and enrolled in preschool?

Before kindergarten. And then all through school with the activities.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• No. I would rather her have 1 activity that she really likes and is good at than to be strung all over the place and not get to really enjoy it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• No, not really. I've enrolled my dd in preschool and activities for MY sanity. She is this little social butterfly who thrives on interaction with others. For this reason, I'm good with her doing the activities she would like and going to preschool. Plus it gives me a break from having to entertain her 24/7 (she's that active).
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 2:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• nope. preschool might do her some good though. she has a bit of trouble being away from mommy!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• behind? no. but as long as THEY enjoy the exposure whats the harm?
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Nope. All those activiites and pre-school aren't NEEDED. Some things are great to have but there really isn't any reason to schedule kids. Just let them be kids. They have the rest of their lives to go to school and "participate" in things.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My ds was not enrolled in preschool or any activities other than what I did with him and going to the park (or free things) He went to Kindergarten last year and did awesome. So no, I don't think they'll be behind , especially if you give them your time and attention.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• no my son didnt go to preschool and just graduated kindergarten with all good grades i work with them at home 2 to 4 hours not all at once maybe spread those hours out cause their attention span but preschool is easy to do at home!!! get workbooks ,flashcards, boardgames, card games ect. like memory game, go fish, old maid, candyland, chutes and latters all learning games and it really helps and they are having a blast
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• no, but my children really enjoy the activities they are in. I wish my parents would have put me in stuff I was bored all the time and I still don't know how to swim to this day.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Not at all. Everything she knows so far she just picks up thru songs we sing, things we see when we are out and about, games she plays at daycare, etc. I don't think it needs to be very organized or regimented to teach a kid shapes and colors, etc. I also think when you get to kindergarten the teacher has to teach to the kids that know the least, so if your child knows how to do all sorts of things they are going to be bored out of their mind while Johnny or Susie gets caught up anyway. I also think kids need to be kids and have time for creative and imaginitve play, and I don't think it is good to over-schedule or over-stimulate kids so young. They have plenty of time for these things as they get older, in my opinion. I do think reading to and with your kids is essential from a really early age, but I try not to worry about much else at this point.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• what they tell you in preschool is that the parents are the first teachers that kids have. they are only in the classroom for a limited amount of time. Parents have them like 4 times as much. Both my DD and DS was in preschool and they loved it
    rainfey

Answer by rainfey at 3:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010