My 13 year old stepson just came to live with us and hates school. How do I motivate him?

HisPrincess67

Asked by HisPrincess67 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• what are his issues with it exactly?? You may want to invest in tutoring.
    More school involvement like clubs and activities. is there something he really likes that he can do reports and projects on? like airplanes, drums, computers, outerspace etc etc.
    Could he have a learning disability like dislexia? ADHD? how is his hearing and eye sight?
    what about summer camps that encourage learning but in a fun new way. My son is going to a day camp in August for a week it is a science camp where the kids can take a part a VCR and change it and re-invent it.
    What about an acting camp. I am sure if you get his likes and dilikes down you can google something for him to get excited about
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Not all kids do well in or like public school maybe you should look into alternatives for him!

usmom3

Answer by usmom3 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Its tough to motivate a child that has not interest in school, however I think you need to nail down exactly what he hates about school. In my son's case he was simply bored, too intelligent for the work they were giving and just didn't see the need to do it. I talked to the school and the teachers started giving him more advanced work after he completed the assignments in class. I think nailing down whats going on will you help resolve the issues and give him more to look forward too. Maybe he doesn't like his teacher. I had that going on once too, my kid hated the teacher and loved school up until that point...that was a nice long talk with the principal once I got some facts from other parents...after that all was right with his world. I also made it clear to the teacher that if she made my son cry again or not want to go to school I was reporting again. Find out what it is and then work to resolve it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• yep- find out WHY he doesn't like it and go from there
    it coudl be any number of reasons or a combination of things, but you need to talk to him first and figure out how to fix it
    good luck :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Consider home schooling.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Ground him for failing grades and pay him $$$ for every A that he gets on his report card. Other than that you really just have to discipline him, you cant make him enjoy school.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2010