Why send a child?

I just had a knock on my door and when I opened it, there stood a very uncomfortable looking boy who couldn't have been much more than 12.
Dressed in a suit and tie with a leather folder under one arm.

He looked so uncomfortable and was so awkward when he started speaking that he was stammering all over his words and was looking everywhere but in my eyes.
He did NOT want to be doing this.

Why send a child to my door to drop off religious propaganda? That seems like it's playing dirty to me.
When it's an adult I can say "No thanks, I'm 100% satisfied with my beliefs. Have a nice day." and close the door.
I felt so bad for this kid because he was so clearly uncomfortable and I didn't want to make him feel like he was failing but I also didn't want to be roped into a religious debate with a child.

Why send someone so young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was wondering the same thing this morning! Except the kid who was at my door was closer to 13 or 14, or at least as tall as a teenager. He was a good 6 inches taller than me, but he looked so sad standing there, so embarrassed. Then my dog started barking and he looked like he was gonna pee on himself.
    I stepped out on the porch and saw what I am assuming was his father standing by a car in my driveway, so I just took it out on him.
    Yeah, it seems like it's playing dirty. Like you said, we can tell an adult to shove it and get away, but who is going to say that to a kid?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• to try & manipulate you into taking his literature & hope that an innocent child might be able to "get though" to you. It's sneaky & wrong, children shouldn't be forced to do that.

What did you say to him?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• That poor kid! That is playing dirty. It sounds like they are trying to groom the child to be able to do this for the rest of his life.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 3:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Sorry but I believe that sort of behavior is brainwashing.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Because people are a lot less likely to be rude or a slam a door in a child's face.  It is just another low down, dirty and manipulative move by religion to enlarge it's profit margin congregation.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• it is like playing dirty. that is exactly why they send a child.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Poor kid that is just wrong
    ddmalott

Answer by ddmalott at 3:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• just sick
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• That's sad. The other day I had some one knock on my door, if I wasn't sitting in the living room I would not have heard the knock it was the lightest little tap. I wasn't in the mood to talk to them but when I looked out the peek whole it was this older women standing there all frustrated and annoyed looking, made me glad I didn't answer the door.
    Raine2007

Answer by Raine2007 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• First of all, I'm not a fan of door-to-door stuff, though I am a Christian. But if a kid WANTS to do it (I know a few who our super outgoing and love it) than go for it. But I agree with you, if the kid is uncomfortable, give them a break! We had a 5-year-old who was handing out literature at a flee market. She was so exuberant and excited and was shoving stuff in people's hands without waiting for a response. We had a lot of people actually come back and return stuff. Again, I'm ok with her handing stuff out, but she needed to be taught to be courteous and wait for people to accept it. Otherwise, like you said, it's just manipulative.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2010