Should a baby have their father's last name?

Even if you weren't with your baby's dad anymore would you give them his last name? I'm not talking about cases where the dad is a deadbeat loser. If he was a wonderful father but things just didn't work out between you. I feel like it's the father's right to pass his name down to his children. I would be very upset if I wasn't given my dads last name.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• if he is in the childs life and is serious about being a father then sure give the baby the dads last name
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 3:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If he was in his life and cared, my son would have his last name. But, alas, he isn't in his life and doesn't care, so, my son got my last name.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Obviously that's the traditional way to do things. I gave my son my boyfriend's (at the time, now hubby!) last name because he was very much involved in my baby's life. My family told me I was being stupid and I should give him my maiden name, but I knew I was going to be changing my name someday. I wasn't going to do that. Now we all have the same last name, as it should be.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• yea..I mean its his child. I didn't vave my father's lastname and it caused alot of confusion when I moved with him
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i think they should unless he is not around, or is and just doesnt give a damn.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes I think the child should have the father's last name
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 3:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think as long as he is an amazing dad and is in the child's life, then yes. If he is not in the child's life or in and out and is mainly a dead beat etc...then HELL NO! give the child your last name, the child will feel more like he or she belongs if it's your last name than some guy the child doesn't even know. You say he's a wonderful father then yes, give your child daddy's last name.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 3:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• oooh and you can get him to pay child support without a DNA test lol just an FYI
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If he is very much involved then you two decide among each other whose last name it gets.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• As a general rule I believe the child should hold the fathers last name, I also believe there are exceptions to the rules, but it would have to be more then just being a deadbeat dad.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010