Who does the finances?

I'm just curious how some of you handle finances in your family. When I first met dh he'd been a bachelor for a long time. He had never kept a check register in his life, but never bounced checks either. His bills were so unorganized, but he usually got everything paid on time. I, on the other hand, like my check book balanced and accurate to the penny, and bills organized and paid before they were due.
How do you work it?

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 3:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Before my my hubby was a bachelor too and was so unorganized. I'm the organized one in the family.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 3:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We discuss everything like how we are going to save for something, how we will budget for something, etc. But I do the month to month bill paying and taking care of the checkbook. My DH is a procrastinator and bills would be set aside if it were left up to him..
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• hubby takes care of it. he is better at it than me.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• when we first got married I did it all...we've got three kids now and it bounces between us. Our finances are a mess now!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My hubby pretty much went from under the care of his mother to under the care of me. lol. He could most likely do it all on his own just fine, but he's never had to.

I am pretty well organized and keep a routine for bill-pay and budget-balancing. I got a little bit mixed up when we moved several months ago and got all new bills from different companies, but once I got into a set routine, all is well again.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I take care of all the finances as far as the month to month bills & spending but when it comes to big ticket items it is a joint decision.

usmom3

Answer by usmom3 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I lived with my parents when DH and I met three years ago, so I didn't have anything to balance.
    DH however was a bachelour for a long time. He'd been on his own since he was 18, so he took care of all the finances himself. When we got together he was very secrative about the finances, about the bills, but kept very good track of them. He is very money smart and is good with numbers. I am not good with numbers. Therefore, he has continued to handle the finances now. However, he has opened up a little about them even though he still has the urge to be quiet about it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• we ddo toghetger
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 3:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My hubby does.  He is very organised and I am not number friendly.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My hubby does it for the most part because he makes the money therefore he gets to make the decisions about how it is spent. Once he has a budget he shows it to me for feedback and I give him my personal and professional opinion as an ex-accountant. He tells me how much I have to spend on household stuff and I work within those constraints. Nobody needs to pay the bills because they're all on autopay except for a couple things per year like excise tax and water bill and whoever collects the mail sees to that bill.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010