Vitamins..

My son just turned 12 months. I have had people telling me i should be giving him vitamins? My pedi didnt mention it is his 12 month wellbaby check. Do you give your toddler vitamins? Is it necessary? What kind? Thanks in advance!!!

carsonsmommytam

Asked by carsonsmommytam at 3:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you do give vitamins go to a health food store and get a children's food based vitamin.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• if he has a good diet then no. it's not necessary. if you are worried about it, then go ahead.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My ped only said if they aren't good eaters...like a wide range to maybe give them a multivitamin....and this only came up because my DD wasn't eating veggies and barely any fruits at all. Now she can't get enough of them!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't think you should give him anything synthetic. Just make sure he's eating right.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I started the gummi vitamins at age 2. It was suggested to me by her doctor because she didn't eat much as a side affect from her meds she was on. Now, she takes a regular chewable vitamin. Shes 5 1/2 now.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My pediatrician recommends baby vitamin drops starting at 6 months, so that's when I start giving them. I get the Target generic brand vitamin drops and use those until 18 months and then I start giving the gummy vitamins. For my girls, I also give gummy calcium supplements starting at age 18 months since we now know that girls have all the bone they will every grow by age 21.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I did give my baby vits. I spoke with my ped and he told me which ones to give. (it was 18 years ago so I cannot for the life of me recall what the brand was)
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• he's only one, i'd wait til he's two. remember it's almost impossible to get all the vitamins and nutrients your body needs to be healthy and function properly so everyone after age two.. adults, kids, males, females, should all be taking a multivitamin daily
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• AS longs as he eats a well balanced diet then no they are not needed. My son did not eat well and was very picky so he got natural vits around 18 months, but my daughter is a great eater and at 3 years old only just realized I was giving her brother something every day and asked for some to so I started giving them to her too. My children both also nursed until they self weaned and that was at the age of 18 months and 3 years about the time I started the vits now that I think about it, but not done on purpose.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Hes a great eater, and eats pretty much anything. I make sure he has everything off the pyramid every day. I just wonder since he just got off formula and i was assured he was getting them all with that. Now that i dont have that assurance it makes me wonder. As soon as someone brought that up my mind kicked into overdrive.
    carsonsmommytam

Comment by carsonsmommytam (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010